Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulsa or St. Mary's?  (Read 1186 times)

bryanc3

• View Profile
    • Email
Tulsa or St. Mary's?
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:52:02 PM »
I must decide soon between Tulsa and St. Mary's for this fall.  I have visited Tulsa and I like the school and town.  The school has fairly nice facilities and seems to be a friendly atmosphere.  I never got a chance to visit St. Mary's but I hear they have pretty crappy facilities.  Tulsa also has alot of cool study abroad programs and it appears St. Mary's is lacking in that area(at least from looking through their website, which also is a pretty crappy representation of the school).  Tulsa was also much better with correpondence and general organization about reaching out to prospective students.  All that aside however, St. Mary's is located in Texas.  I am from Texas and always just figured I'd stay here for a career.  I'm hearing from many people that location of the school is more important than anything in determining where you end up working.  Any thoughts?       

bryanc3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tulsa or St. Mary's?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 03:18:33 PM »
anyone?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 03:21:48 PM »
St. Mary's.

They do have a solid study abroad program.

The school is in a lousy part of SA, but it's not bad.

They have a new terrorism law center that's getting some publicity. They have a fairly decent international law program focusing on Mexico.

bryanc3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »
remind me not to use 't t t'around here to move a thread 'to the top'. Apparently it automatically changes it to something else. What the hell is that about?...bastards.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 03:33:40 PM »
remind me not to use 'ttt' around here to move a thread 'to the top'. Apparently it automatically changes it to something else...bastards.

Whoops. Welcome to LSD.

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 03:36:15 PM »
I'd like to weigh in on your idea of St. Mary's. The University is in a bad area of San Antonio, BUT the law school and universities facilities are really nice, its kind of like a fancy university in the middle of the hispanic ghetto.
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
I'd like to weigh in on your idea of St. Mary's. The University is in a bad area of San Antonio, BUT the law school and universities facilities are really nice, its kind of like a fancy university in the middle of the hispanic ghetto.

Ditto. I didn't make that clear. There's nothing wrong with the school; it's quite nice.

bryanc3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 03:38:38 PM »
St.Mary's may have something in Mexico but I'm interested in Europe, plus they don't have anything about it on their website, which is pretty lame.

LaneSwerver

bryanc3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 03:51:52 PM »

A friend of mine who was there for a brief stint last year said the facilities were old and smelled like moth balls.  He says to go to Tulsa.  I'm just really torn pretty much solely because of St. Mary's geographical location.