Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shacking Up  (Read 10152 times)

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shacking Up
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »
I have a problem with him having all the benefits of having a wife, but not making the commitment.  Some people feel like it's just a piece of paper, but I disagree with that.  If I am waking up to you every morning, doing "wifely" duties, then I should be your wife. 

Plus - all that splitting the bills, buying a house, getting cars w/my bf stuff is for the birds. When I am talking finances, major purchases with a man, he has to be my hubby.  If we are going to do it - then do it all the way.

Just my $0.02 as a lurker and sometimes poster...

I'm suprised by all the anti-shacking up sentiment. If you love each other, enjoy being around each other, are interested in making your relationship more serious but don't believe in/aren't ready for marriage, why not live together? 

And if you are dating a guy who believes, "why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free", why would you want to marry him?
Think before you speak.

YoungIke

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2005, 03:05:17 PM »
Just reclaiming my nice guy status that may have been comprimed in other post.
ike--i don't know what you're talking about, angel wings?

I like the new picture, the first did you no justice  8)
and what do you mean you saw the picture, smiled and moved on? :D

faith2005

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »
haha, that may be because the other picture wasn't me...

YoungIke

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2005, 03:12:47 PM »
reeaaally, imma be good today  ;D

haha, that may be because the other picture wasn't me...

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »
all that splitting the bills, buying a house, getting cars w/my bf stuff is for the birds. When I am talking finances, major purchases with a man, he has to be my hubby.  If we are going to do it - then do it all the way.

Yeah, I would not undertake a major purchase with my BF unless we had clearly outlined what would happen if we seperate... but splitting bills implies pretty little committment. I've split bills with roomates before, why not with a BF?

And by living together, you get some of the benefits of having a husband, too. If he's getting more than you out of the relationship (be it living together or being married) it's not right.

What does marriage give a woman (as opposed to a man) that living together doesn't? I know marriage gives both security, tied financials, tax breaks, privileges, etc, but I'm wondering if you see some female-only benefit that marriage conveys.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2005, 03:16:37 PM »
I will not live with a man that I'm not married to... that isn't how I was raised.. I have no problems spending time together..weekends...maybe a couple of weeks or what have you.. but sharing the bills..bank accounts...same sleeping quarters and no marriage license in a frame?? damn that..

i'm not knocking anyone else for doing that but it just isn't my style... i've contemplated it in the past but i know that it isn't the best decision for me...

Just my $0.02 as a lurker and sometimes poster...

I'm suprised by all the anti-shacking up sentiment. If you love each other, enjoy being around each other, are interested in making your relationship more serious but don't believe in/aren't ready for marriage, why not live together? 

And if you are dating a guy who believes, "why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free", why would you want to marry him?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2005, 03:19:18 PM »
According to some men on this board - the married man is the head of the household and the woman bows down (figuratively, not literally) to him and he makes all the decisions etc.  We had a LONG discussion about this on the main BLSD board.

Personally, my hubby will be paying all the bills while I spend my days taking care of our children, shopping, working out, keeping myself up and spending his money and driving his Mercedes. ;)

RUNS OUT OF THREAD
all that splitting the bills, buying a house, getting cars w/my bf stuff is for the birds. When I am talking finances, major purchases with a man, he has to be my hubby.  If we are going to do it - then do it all the way.

Yeah, I would not undertake a major purchase with my BF unless we had clearly outlined what would happen if we seperate... but splitting bills implies pretty little committment. I've split bills with roomates before, why not with a BF?

And by living together, you get some of the benefits of having a husband, too. If he's getting more than you out of the relationship (be it living together or being married) it's not right.

What does marriage give a woman (as opposed to a man) that living together doesn't? I know marriage gives both security, tied financials, tax breaks, privileges, etc, but I'm wondering if you see some female-only benefit that marriage conveys.
Think before you speak.

YoungIke

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2005, 03:20:58 PM »
You get us males to realize that its not fun and games anymore. The only thing that slows a man down is kids (please don't try that!) and marriage. And that is just the responsible ones.

My kind of woman, I'll drive my truck anyway!

According to some men on this board - the married man is the head of the household and the woman bows down (figuratively, not literally) to him and he makes all the decisions etc.  We had a LONG discussion about this on the main BLSD board.

Personally, my hubby will be paying all the bills while I spend my days taking care of our children, shopping, working out, keeping myself up and spending his money and driving his Mercedes. ;)

RUNS OUT OF THREAD

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2005, 03:22:27 PM »
a good woman will slow a man down and help him to realize what it is that he desires in his help-mate
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2005, 03:23:58 PM »
Most men don't know what the he!! they want - the women have to show them...

a good woman will slow a man down and help him to realize what it is that he desires in his help-mate
Think before you speak.