Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Finding a job in the States as a Canadian  (Read 1177 times)

Aislyn

• View Profile
Finding a job in the States as a Canadian
« on: July 18, 2005, 06:56:22 PM »
I'm interested in going to law school in the States, and I know that with an American law degree, I'd only be qualified to practice there and not in Canada.  However, as a Canadian citizen with an American law degree, how possible/likely is it that I'd be able to get a job in the States?  If I were to go to a t14 school, would it make things easier?  I don't want to end up with a degree I can't use.

Thanks for any help.

NathanB

Re: Finding a job in the States as a Canadian
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »
If you get a degree from a T14, even if you're from Mars, you have a pretty good chance of getting a job in the US, especially if you're in the top 25% of your class.

But you should probably look into dual citizenship, it would probably speed the process up quite a bit.

On the other hand, everyone on the board hates canadians, so.....  (just kiddin)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 07:05:19 PM »
I'm interested in going to law school in the States, and I know that with an American law degree, I'd only be qualified to practice there and not in Canada.  However, as a Canadian citizen with an American law degree, how possible/likely is it that I'd be able to get a job in the States?  If I were to go to a t14 school, would it make things easier?  I don't want to end up with a degree I can't use.

Thanks for any help.

If you get into a T14, you'll have no problem finding work as a lawyer in the USA.

Aislyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 07:10:48 PM »
Awesome...thanks guys.