Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does this make me mad?  (Read 4218 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why does this make me mad?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »
First of all, I am NOT a rascist. ANd how do you know where I fall on the big ole race spectrum we seem to have in this country? Besides, you saying that I do NOT have any knowledge of rascism is PREPOSTEROUS! You have no clue what I have knowledge of.

I think that by always getting mad at people for having differing opinions than yourself, YOU are the one perpetuating rascism, not me.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 09:32:25 AM »

... Also, in the work force, why would an employer willingly want to employ someone that may be underqualified? If you have two applicants and one is VERY much qualified, and you have a minority, the employer may pick the minority just to get "diversity" but in the end the other workers have to pick up his slack because he has no clue what he is doing. Just because you apply for a certain job does not mean that you are qualified to fill it...

You do know that when employers willingly employ someone that is underqualified it is far more likely to be a white person right?  Here is some info from two interesting studies.  They speak to the fact that given two candidates, one white and one black, the white one often stands a better chance of not only landing an interview, but coming away with the job:

1) A young, white, male high school graduate with a felony conviction applies in person for entry level jobs as a driver, a dishwasher, a laborer, warehouse worker and production worker that are advertised in the newspaper and admits to employers that he served 18 months in prison for possession of cocaine with intent to sell.
A young black man with similar education, work history and style of presentation, but with no criminal record, applies for the same jobs.

Who do you think is more likely to be called back?

If you picked the white man with the felony conviction, you guessed right.  Black men who had never been in trouble with the law were about half as likely as whites with similar backgrounds to get a job offer or a callback.

2)Now a "field experiment" by NBER Faculty Research Fellows Marianne Bertrand and Sendhil Mullainathan measures this discrimination in a novel way. In response to help-wanted ads in Chicago and Boston newspapers, they sent resumes with either African-American- or white-sounding names and then measured the number of callbacks each resume received for interviews. Thus, they experimentally manipulated perception of race via the name on the resume. Half of the applicants were assigned African-American names that are "remarkably common" in the black population, the other half white sounding names.

There was a 50 percent difference in callback rates.  The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note in Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination (NBER Working Paper No. 9873). It indicates that a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience
3)
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 09:42:03 AM »
racism is spelled... R-A-C-I-S-M

racist is spelled... R-A-C-I-S-T

that is all.... :-\
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 09:43:29 AM »
First of all, I am NOT a rascist. ANd how do you know where I fall on the big ole race spectrum we seem to have in this country? Besides, you saying that I do NOT have any knowledge of rascism is PREPOSTEROUS! You have no clue what I have knowledge of.

I think that by always getting mad at people for having differing opinions than yourself, YOU are the one perpetuating rascism, not me.

I never called you a racist. And, just so you know, racists come in all sizes, colors and shapes.
Who's your Daddy now?

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 09:59:41 AM »
Haven't you ever heard of tinting the results to be in your OWN favor, Most studies are doing that these days. When was it ever practice to be honest in results? Figures you would find a study on YOUR side of the topic.....

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 10:20:17 AM »
Haven't you ever heard of tinting the results to be in your OWN favor, Most studies are doing that these days. When was it ever practice to be honest in results? Figures you would find a study on YOUR side of the topic.....

what you're suggesting is intellectual dishonesty, which is something i wouldn't accuse most scientists of doing.  does it happen? of course.  but not as much as you think.  moreover, it's pretty easy to tell when someone is intentionally doctoring or unduly manipulating data.  those folks usually start out with an ideological bent they're unwilling to relinquish.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 10:37:46 AM »
I think that ALL social scientists' study are biased in favor of whatever it is they are seeking. I really do think this, and it seems that this is mostly the case as well.

http://www.csulb.edu/~kmacd/346bias.html

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 10:40:57 AM »
well I know one thing.. the number of African Americans obtaining professional degrees is very low... that case study isn't a lie
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 10:41:52 AM »
Maybe they should look at how many are applying and how many get in, if there arent many applying then of COURSE there aren't many getting in.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 10:42:34 AM »
maybe you should read more studies that are so politically loaded.