Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does this make me mad?  (Read 4141 times)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Why does this make me mad?
« on: July 18, 2005, 05:18:55 PM »
... Also, in the work force, why would an employer willingly want to employ someone that may be underqualified? If you have two applicants and one is VERY much qualified, and you have a minority, the employer may pick the minority just to get "diversity" but in the end the other workers have to pick up his slack because he has no clue what he is doing. Just because you apply for a certain job does not mean that you are qualified to fill it...

I avoided the AA debate for as long as I could, but I can't believe there are people out here who think like this. To be honest, I feel like I'd have to pick up some slack my self, and it's not isolated to people of color...

Maybe I just need to vent...

*deep breath*
Who's your Daddy now?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Why does this make me mad?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
Annabel, ignore the AA threads.  that's what I do.  no use talking to a brick wall.  keep your head up. 

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 05:21:36 PM »
Annabel, there are people on this board who just say flat-out racist stuff.
I know what you mean about picking up slack though ... I have worked with my share of underqualified white people.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
Underqualified white males, who I've STILL had to compete with because my (white male) manager liked to talk about football and I was clueless. I had to work my BUTT off.
Who's your Daddy now?

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 05:31:29 PM »
"Hiya, I'm a white, upper-middle class, Anglo-Saxon protestant male, who doesn't have the first clue about racism...That being said, lemme tell you why AA is racist."

Is what they're *not* saying in those discussions, therefore, I ignore them as well.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:44:19 PM »
It's amazing how many of the clueless/racists/bigots on this board are actually going to become lawyers. It's actually very scary.

I understand how you feel, particularly when you know that *YOU'RE* the one picking up slack for others. (As is the case, quite frequently). The only thing you can do is ignore them. Don't waste your time fighting every battle that comes your way, pick the ones that have meat and win with intelligence. I'm sure you can do it.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:16:35 PM »
Just what we need. to create more problems that WE need to pay for in the future. Some little black kid HAD to learn ebonics now the MAN is keeping him down. OMG!! This is messed up. What the heck is EBONICS anyways? Why would ANYONE in their right mind want to learn this? Can they put it on their resume like French and Russian as foreign language? Lol, now THAT would be messed up. When this kids get to high school, college, and worse, law school, they won't be able to compete, and then want URM status and all that jazz. Just what we need, to perpetuate the problem! ::) :o
Who's your Daddy now?

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 07:59:39 PM »
"Hiya, I'm a white, upper-middle class, Anglo-Saxon protestant male, who doesn't have the first clue about racism...That being said, lemme tell you why AA is racist."

Is what they're *not* saying in those discussions, therefore, I ignore them as well.

the irony here of course is that you yourself just made a bigoted / racist comment using socio-economic and racial distinctions to create an overly broad de-individualizing generalization of a specific group.

thanks to you, i now know what racism is, and feel that i am now qualified to discuss AA in a heartfelt, responsible, and intelligent manner ...

by the way, you are not allowed to discuss social security until you are old, nor are you allowed to complain about the current taxation system until you are rich (and i'm talking top 1%) - furthermore, your opinions on medicare, HMOs, etc. will be completlely invalid unless you yourself are sick and suffering ... DMOs? yeah, those teeth better be rotting
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 08:07:50 PM »
I've been a paralegal for 9 years, and a legal secretary for a few years in college, so I've worked with a lot of lawyers.  Some are good, some are bad, most are competent at their jobs.  The horribly incompetent ones (and they stick out in my mind, even after many years) varied by age, sex, and race, as did the most outstanding. 

In fact, it was by working with some of these incompetent morons that I got the confidence to go to law school myself.  I figure, if they made it through, I certainly can.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

LegalLassie

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 09:28:24 PM »
I've been a paralegal for 9 years, and a legal secretary for a few years in college, so I've worked with a lot of lawyers.  Some are good, some are bad, most are competent at their jobs.  The horribly incompetent ones (and they stick out in my mind, even after many years) varied by age, sex, and race, as did the most outstanding. 

In fact, it was by working with some of these incompetent morons that I got the confidence to go to law school myself.  I figure, if they made it through, I certainly can.

Here here Twarga.  Those were my feelings exactly while working in law enforcement.  Idiocy and incompetence do not discriminate.