Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oh My God...This is Horrible  (Read 1226 times)

dunson

Re: Oh My God...This is Horrible
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 12:45:58 PM »
175+?  i'd guess...

it's not pompous. i got a 157, but my focus was wayy off.  i think i'm capable of 170+ with some effort. 

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 12:51:33 PM »
175+?  i'd guess...

it's not pompous. i got a 157, but my focus was wayy off.  i think i'm capable of 170+ with some effort. 

He said mid-to-high 170s.  On one hand, it's incredibly encouraging and motivating for him to say something like that, but on the other hand, it creates an insane amount of pressure.

dunson

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 12:56:10 PM »
175+?  i'd guess...

He said mid-to-high 170s.  On one hand, it's incredibly encouraging and motivating for him to say something like that, but on the other hand, it creates an insane amount of pressure.

i'd imagine so.  don't worry though.  that is definitely possible for you. 

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 12:58:06 PM »
This is really scaring me considering that I need a 165 or better.

Why?  Have a bet?

i bet it is the atmosphere of this and other boards that makes them feel this way.

Yes it is. Reading posts on here makes me feel as though I'll have to kick and scream my way into any school if I score below a 160. I know this is not true, but I want to go to Columbia so I know this # has to improve...drastically.

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 01:00:10 PM »

No, it doesn't.  You don't have to answer to him when it comes to your LSAT score.  Most people don't improve that much over the course of their preparation - some of the people on the board here are atypical examples.  Do your best and don't worry about a goal that your Powerscore teacher dreamt up for you.  

Well, here's the thing: considering we're only 2 weeks into the class, I just got a 169 on my first post-diagnostic practice test, my PowerScore teacher (who has taught the class 10 times and can gauge results pretty well) thinks I'm capable of this, and I have 2 and a half months left to study and practice... I would be kicking myself if I didn't improve at least a few more points from the 169 that I'm at right now.  I'd be extremely disappointed to say the very least.

dunson

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 01:14:44 PM »
This is really scaring me considering that I need a 165 or better.

Why?  Have a bet?

i bet it is the atmosphere of this and other boards that makes them feel this way.

Yes it is. Reading posts on here makes me feel as though I'll have to kick and scream my way into any school if I score below a 160. I know this is not true, but I want to go to Columbia so I know this # has to improve...drastically.

wanting to go to columbia as a dream school is nice.  i hope you improve enough to get in.  but, don't get sucked in.  be happy if you can get into, say...brooklyn or st. john's. 

blurblur

• AOL Instant Messenger - BloodNymph
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »
Hey!  *same boat* 

I got a 169 on my first diag.  My instructor came up to me and asked if I had ever taken the course or the LSAT before.  No on both counts.  So he had me see him personally on several occasions to give me advice.  He said he thought I had tremendous growth potential and that I had the highest first diag. score he had ever seen.  He too told me I should aim for mid-high 170s.  I too doubted him.  I was concerned about how anyone could improve after already getting nearly 90% of the Qs, since humans always have a margin of error. 

I can totally relate to the pressure you feel.  Although for me, it was more pressure I gave myself.  Don't feel pressured cos of HIM!  You don't have to ever contact him after the class if you don't want to...For me, the worse pressure came after my 3rd diag. when I scored 172.  It was because I didn't know whether I had truely improved, or if the good score was a fluke.  No matter what anyone said, the pressure wouldn't go away.  I thought everything rested on the next diag., fluke or improvement?  I got 167 on my next diag.  I was devastated.  But oddly enough, that made the pressure go away and the next diag. I went back up to 175. 

I don't think anything anyone says could make the pressure go away.  I think my long rant is just more to let you know someone was in the same boat and came out on top!  Practice what you're worse at, and gradually you'll gain more confidence with your abilities. 

(Oh, I too would LOVE to get into Columbia, that's the school I want the most right now as well)