Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would u do????  (Read 3783 times)

kookoogirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What would u do????
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »
I think the problem is with both some whites and some blacks.

basically both of the two are on the polar opposites of the spectrum and apt to immediately promulgate an incident as one or the other.

I have noticed from some black people, whether it bears on race or not, any kind of ill action towards them is immediately sanctioned as racist, they pull out the race card.

With some whites the polar opposite happens, they immediately deny any plausibility of it being racist. many times neither of the two groups stay close to the middle of the spectrum where they can with merit evaluate it having a tendency of one way or another.

from this observation I think the reason these two act the way they do is because blacks unfortunately were victims of just awful persecution and then later discrimination based primarily on their race. So some of them still have a victim psychology by which they directly attribute an incident, primarily if perpetrated by a white, as racist.

and as far as whites, many of them are tired of being called racist and some blacks assuming a lot of actions as being racist whether they may be or not whites totally disregard the possibility of it and move to the opposite spectrum.

I myself as an Asian have never felt an incident to have been racist or that someone had a racist intent towards me in whether they looked at me funny, or were disrespectful at the mall or something.

just an observation...

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2005, 05:42:26 PM »
I think a lot of the racism like lynching has gone down since the early 1900's in the United States, however, there are still recorded incidents of this nature occurring. However, what about other types of racism? For example, assuming a young black male is going to be a rap artist or a basketball player instead of a lawyer. Or even Asians, because of their ethnicity they are subject to being labeled as whiz kids and if they play football are considered a joke. All races white, Hispanic, and even African American do this type of racism. Also, what about internalized oppression in which a person does everything in their power to conform to society. I remember the first time i heard one of my African American friends call another guy an Oreo. At first i was confused being Hispanic, but he later explained that it meant the person is "black on the outside but white on the inside." In other words, the man was not remembering his roots and instead attempted to become as white as possible. So, all in all racism is still around but just harder to see at times.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
I'm not a racist. I have no problem with people of any race, it's just that I notice on here people are so quick to jump to the conclusion that something went wrong because of thier race. Whether it be someone who, like this person, was accused of stealing, or becaues someone didn't get into their top choice school saying that it's because of the URMs there whom he saw on LSN (which doesn't even show EVERYTHING anyways). Why must everyhting always be about race, really? I think that children wouldn't even care if their parents just ignored the fact that there was such a thing as "race"

Why are you so quick to assume that EVERYTHING is not about race?
Back in the saddle again.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »
I am just basing it on what it seems people would do in a situation like that. Just look at anyone, the first thing anyone does is be quick to point the finger at someone else. Sometimes that person DOES happen to be white, because they ended up being near whatever took place. Nobody cares what race the person is, just to have someone to blame it on, someone else to fault for whatever it is.

And where do you get your knowledge of what it seems people would do in a situation like that.  You seem to be making the assumption that these people are dishonest (or at the very least untrusting) instead of being racist?  Why is one easier to believe than the other??

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2005, 07:20:45 PM »
agreed.. and funny..he just said "i'm not white".. i asked specifically what his ethnicity was...no need to keep it a secret..

i know one thing though.. i'm tired of reading this "I'm not racist" statement..

why do you feel the need to say it? if you have to post that disclaimer time and time again then i'd argue that you have some prejudices and racist thoughts somewhere...otherwise people wouldn't misconstrue the point that you're trying to make...

I am just basing it on what it seems people would do in a situation like that. Just look at anyone, the first thing anyone does is be quick to point the finger at someone else. Sometimes that person DOES happen to be white, because they ended up being near whatever took place. Nobody cares what race the person is, just to have someone to blame it on, someone else to fault for whatever it is.

And where do you get your knowledge of what it seems people would do in a situation like that.  You seem to be making the assumption that these people are dishonest (or at the very least untrusting) instead of being racist?  Why is one easier to believe than the other??
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2005, 08:14:06 PM »
You are right, and it always seems like the people who make racist statements are the first to say I am not white and I am not a racist.  If it looks like a racist, smells like a racist and sounds like a racist, it usually is.

agreed.. and funny..he just said "i'm not white".. i asked specifically what his ethnicity was...no need to keep it a secret..

i know one thing though.. i'm tired of reading this "I'm not racist" statement..

why do you feel the need to say it? if you have to post that disclaimer time and time again then i'd argue that you have some prejudices and racist thoughts somewhere...otherwise people wouldn't misconstrue the point that you're trying to make...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2005, 09:34:02 AM »
I never heard that oreo thing before. Someone like that would be like Carlton, then?
What do you call the white people trying to be black people?

be10dwn

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2005, 09:36:34 AM »
Anyone see the Dave Chappelle show where he was blind and a KKK member who didn't know he was black.  THat was some funny *&^%.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2005, 09:48:30 AM »
Lol!!

injustice

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2005, 06:10:49 PM »
I never heard that oreo thing before. Someone like that would be like Carlton, then?
What do you call the white people trying to be black people?

We call them Wiggers (pretty obvious).