Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would u do????  (Read 3781 times)

1lwhit

What would u do????
« on: July 17, 2005, 07:58:08 PM »
Things in this world never change...

I am currently interning in the Chicago area and I am renting a room in the home of a Caucasian woman.  The woman, we will call her Jessica has a daughter, Hailey.  Hailey’s dad, George is in town visiting.  So they all went to Las Vegas last week and they are back now.  This afternoon I was eating in the kitchen (we aren’t allowed to eat in the rooms) and the little girl held up a “Powerpuff” birthday card that she received.  I said “that’s nice” and continued eating.  Then the little girl showed me Cinderella card.  She opened the card and money fell out.  Her dad told her to pick it up and that was that.  NOTE: The little girl was approximately 10 feet away from me each time she showed a card.

Soooooo…about an hour later I’m upstairs and I hear Jessica ask Hailey if she has the $50 bill that was in the Powerpuff card.  The first thing out of George’s mouth was “She was showing it to Whitney.  Whitney was the last to see it.”  I hear them rummaging around downstairs and George repeated a million more times “Whitney was the last to see it.”  Then the little girl starts saying “Yeah, I showed it to Whitney and I haven’t seen it since.”  That was it!  So I go downstairs and say “Sorry to interrupt, but I couldn’t help but overhear…”  I told Jessica exactly where I was eating, exactly what happened, that the little girl only opened the Cinderella card, that the little girl never opened the PowerPuff card, and that I never saw a $50 bill.  So Jessica and George start yelling about how they both should have put the money up 5 days ago.

So they all just start looking at my black ass as though I’ve stolen something…whatever.  So I eventually got dressed and left.  I was wondering how long it would take before something like this happened.  Oh well.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: What would u do????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 10:43:58 PM »
you know your black self took the money.  quit frontin'  >:(

in all seriousness, the situation sucks.  more than likely they'll find it in the kids pockets.  if you have any $50 bills hanging around now is the time to deposit them in the bank. don't pull an Omerosa and get defensive, just let the situation ride itself out. keep your head up.

kookoogirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 11:35:07 PM »
and do you think this has something to do, or their suspicion was excaserbated, because you are black?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 11:42:49 PM »
and do you think this has something to do, or there suspicion was excaserbated, because you are black?
[/quote

Yes

dunson

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 12:31:09 AM »
i would think that even if it were a white renter, the situation would not be too different.  it is a "stranger" in their house. 

faith2005

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 04:54:25 PM »
sorry 1lwhit. thats whack. and yes, i do think its exacerbated because she's black. i know that people in college might think that the black student (probably assumed to be on financial aid) took their money, mostly b/c people generally think black people are poor and in need of stuff. but then those same people find out later on that its the crazy millionaire heiress stealing money and toothbrushes from the bathroom.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 05:00:39 PM »
honestly.. i would try to sublet somewhere else if i could..but i know that you only have a couple of weeks left so it wouldn't make any sense to do that at this point...

but i agree with faith it's wack..and i'm sorry you're going through it.. how far outside of Chicago are you?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 05:18:13 PM »
Sorry Whit.  You got some real life, To Kill a Mockingbird type mess going on over there.  You took it to 'em though.  I woulda waited until they came at me so I can watch them sweat as they come up with a PC way of saying "where's our money, you stealin ass ni@@er?"
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

1lwhit

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 06:05:08 PM »
Sorry Whit.  You got some real life, To Kill a Mockingbird type mess going on over there.  You took it to 'em though.  I woulda waited until they came at me so I can watch them sweat as they come up with a PC way of saying "where's our money, you stealin ass ni@@er?"

I guess…but they were talking loud enough for me to hear.  George, the father, said approximately 10 times, “Whitney was the last to see it.”  What was I supposed to do?  Just walk around the house like I hadn’t heard anything?  Forget that.  I especially felt the need to say something when the little girl started saying, “Yeah, I showed it to Whitney and I haven’t seen it since.”  The little girl if 5 years old and I feel that after hearing her father 10 times she started to actually believe that she had showed me the $50 bill!  I never saw the $50 or the inside of the PowerPuff card.  Oh well…whatever.  I just gave this lady $1100 cash…if she really thinks I’d steal $50 from a 5 year old then she is crazy.

It is too late to get another place.  I have four weeks left and the father is on his way back to Australia anyway.  I swear…my life is always a mess.   

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 06:33:56 PM »
prayers are with you... that really is trifling though... it's a shame that they'd make accusations and still...

wait did you just say you're paying $1100 to rent a room????  :o man.. i wish i would have known that you needed a spot in Chicago..that's why i asked you how far you were from the city...

how far are you from chicago?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...