Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: please help  (Read 341 times)

nyboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
please help
« on: July 17, 2005, 03:15:14 PM »
i took the june lsat and i got a 160. my first diagnostic was a 146. i did both bibles and i took kaplan. i took powerscore but i didnt go to the classes becuase i thought it was exatcly like the books, bibles. on the actual test i got 3 wrong on the games, i started it with only 5 right on my first. and on logical resoning i got 11 wrong, stupit mistakes. but on r.c, on my diagnostic i only got 6 wrong but when it came to june i got 8 wrong. i never practiced r.c. i didnt have any approace i just read it like i was reading a newspaper article. so, i found out about this course called testwell, and the guy was like im  telling you if you take this course you can easily get a 168+. but i find the games and l.r the same as powerscore, although he told me he has a very unique approach to r.c, he said all you have to comprehend is 10% of the passage the rest is just like a matching game. but the course is 1200. do you think i should take the course, take out a loan. or just get a tudor, that could teach me r.c? or is there realy no way to improve r.c? if so, do you have any suggestions of tudors that could teach a unified approach to r.c.?
im so sorry for the long question. im just bugging out.
thank you so much

nyboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: please help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:48:42 PM »
can someone please help me. i have to make a decision very soon.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:14:19 PM »

Testwell seems to have a good reputation, but I don't know if I'd trust anybody who says you can do well on RC with only 10% comprehension of the passage.  I'm being too cautious - that's total B.S.

You were pretty foolish not to bother to attend PS classes on the theory that they were 'exactly' like the bibles.  The instructor likely had at least some added value, and even if he recited the bibles verbatim, so what?  Judging from your score of 160, it's not like you had the bibles exactly mastered, now, did you?  Hearing someone go through them another time in class was not any waste of your time.

I would recommend

- taking PS over, but attend the classes this time

- take TM, which is the better course, and would supply a different perspective

- study on your own a lot harder

- get a good tutor if you've got  so much cash you can waste it on things like expensive prep courses you don't even show up to.  Where do you live?  It's kind of hard to recommend tutors without knowing that info.

- find/start a study group

- some combination of the above

- get busy
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

nyboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 09:28:35 PM »

Testwell seems to have a good reputation, but I don't know if I'd trust anybody who says you can do well on RC with only 10% comprehension of the passage.  I'm being too cautious - that's total B.S.

You were pretty foolish not to bother to attend PS classes on the theory that they were 'exactly' like the bibles.  The instructor likely had at least some added value, and even if he recited the bibles verbatim, so what?  Judging from your score of 160, it's not like you had the bibles exactly mastered, now, did you?  Hearing someone go through them another time in class was not any waste of your time.

I would recommend

- taking PS over, but attend the classes this time

- take TM, which is the better course, and would supply a different perspective

- study on your own a lot harder

- get a good tutor if you've got  so much cash you can waste it on things like expensive prep courses you don't even show up to.  Where do you live?  It's kind of hard to recommend tutors without knowing that info.

- find/start a study group

- some combination of the above

- get busy

thanks for the response. i live in ny. but in your opionion do you think its worth a repeat?

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »
If I were you, I would get a tutor. $1200 doesn't seem worth it if you only need help with one section. At least a tutor can focus on you and give you the exact help you need. The most I would do is sign up for a weekend course.