Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else on the American Waiting List and planning to accept an offer?  (Read 6050 times)

businessman

• View Profile
so, anybody have any idea if american will continue to go to their waitlist?  also, when is the first day of class for 1L's at american?

carioca121

• View Profile
Orientation begins on Aug. 17. 

hobnobin

• View Profile
if you're on the american waitlist like i am, you probably know this already, but american just updated their waitlist site:

http://wcl.american.edu/admiss/waitinglist05.cfm

i guess this means there are still spots, even after the recent offers.

businessman

• View Profile
thank for the info, cariocal21.  are acceptances offered up until orientation or is it up to the first day of class?  also, is the first day of class the same for part-time students?

sorry for all the questions, everyone. just kind of anxious and stressed out with trying to plan for the near future.  i was thinking with 2000 people on the waitlist, they have separate categories into which they will admit people.  their incoming class is only about 450 students (ft and pt), so they must expect many to drop out before school starts - i hope.

1L05

• View Profile
Seems like last week they called a few candidates off the list during the middle of the week...anyone else receive a call off the list yet this week?  Anyone know how close to orientation they will get with offers from the list?

summergirl

• View Profile
I spoke to the admissions office earlier this week and have decided to give up any hope of going to American this year.
Basically, they painted a bleak picture for me.  They didn't exactly say that there was zero chance for any more wait list movement, but they might as well should have.
The gist of the conversation is that the calls have been made and it is highly unlikely that they will accept more applicants off the wait list; the class is full!
I wish they would just release/reject those of us hanging on that virtually have no chance of getting in rather than stringing us along.   

Guess I will just have to release myself. . .and move on!

mrbubbles

• View Profile
I spoke to the admissions office earlier this week and have decided to give up any hope of going to American this year.
Basically, they painted a bleak picture for me.  They didn't exactly say that there was zero chance for any more wait list movement, but they might as well should have.
The gist of the conversation is that the calls have been made and it is highly unlikely that they will accept more applicants off the wait list; the class is full!
I wish they would just release/reject those of us hanging on that virtually have no chance of getting in rather than stringing us along.   

Hey Summergirl,

Thanks for the information. Is there any way that you can tell us who you spoke to? I still want to hold out as long as possible...

Thanks again :)

summergirl

• View Profile
I didn't catch her name, sorry! 

American was the only school that I could feasibly attend [had I gotten off the wait list] so it was kind of a bummer for me.  The other DC-area schools didn't bite; American was generous with their wait list and gave me false hope.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

businessman

• View Profile

Is it possible that American may release some of the people who have no chance?  I was thinking of calling and asking - but the website strongly advices against this (in a way).

I mean how many people releastically drop out before schools starts?  Even if there are 200 people on American's waitlist, American could be considerate and drop the bottom 150.

hobnobin

• View Profile
I'm hesitant to make that call myself, but I do think it's a good idea.  If it's true that they're keeping so many people on the waitlist, it really is about time that they set us loose.