Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stetson  (Read 4031 times)

ACore

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - atomcore
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stetson
« on: July 16, 2005, 08:23:06 PM »
Just when I was about to forget that I was on Stetson's waitlist, I got their rejection letter.

Oh well, I've decided on FSU so it doesn't matter.
Attending: FSU
In: FIU, FSU, Syracuse 
Waitlisted: UM, Penn State
Rejected: Pitt, Stetson

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Stetson
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 08:51:09 PM »
Just when I was about to forget that I was on Stetson's waitlist, I got their rejection letter.

Oh well, I've decided on FSU so it doesn't matter.

Odd situation.  FSU is generally considered harder to get into than Stetson.  Split numbers?

Either way, congrats on FSU.  It's a great school!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

ACore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 07:48:10 PM »
Yea, I had split LSAT scores so that's probably what did it. It just kinda bothers me that schools wait this long until they notify people.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:09:39 PM »
Yea, I had split LSAT scores so that's probably what did it. It just kinda bothers me that schools wait this long until they notify people.

I knew someone who got notified AFTER school at his second choice already started. 

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »
I got the rejection letter too.  The dean at Stetston did call me and offered me a seat in the part time fall or full time spring classes.  The ironic thing is that I got into UF for the fall and it too is generally considered a tough school to get into.  I guess Stetson is really trying to increase its competitiveness by focusing more on the numbers than the candidate.   ??? ;D

GujuGuy

• Go Dawgs!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 02:39:23 AM »
Stetson has real nerve to reject anyone that got into FSU or UF. They are both ranked in the top 100 (FSU at 56 and UF at 41) whereas Stetson is a overpriced TIER THREE. Who do they think they are?!? If it were me I would call them up and give them a piece of my mind and tell them how much of a joke they are for rejecting someone who got into a respectable school.  >:(

ACore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 09:43:21 AM »
I'm not too concerned about it. These schools are looking for the best applicants they can get. If Stetson received alot of people with very high numbers and accepted them while rejecting others, I can't blame them. They are just trying to become more selective like every other school. In the end, it may bring up their ranking...however, it will take alot of work for Stetson to be have the recognition that the three larger schools in Florida have.

HeatFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 10:12:33 AM »
I'm not sure if you are in this case, but on these boards I have noticed people who were admitted into FSU because they changed their policy and now take the higher LSAT. However, they weren't admitted into other schools you would think they would be a shoe in at like Stetson or comparable schools with the same type of medians.  For example if you had a 148 and a 158 your true score at Stetson would have been a 153 which might have made you borderline if you had a mid-low GPA. At FSU they use the 158 which is why I have seen other people admitted and based on their true average they would have been rejected or waitlisted at FSU as well.
Not saying this is your case, but the only possibility I can think of for you not getting into Stetson.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 10:43:17 AM »
It could have been yield protection.

I have a buddy who got rejected from Tennessee (our alma mater) but got into GMU with a 159/3.9.

Things like this happen all the time.  No need to question why, especially since the OP ended up at a higher-ranked school.

matt510

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 11:07:53 AM »
Odd, I went to Stetson undergrad for two years before transferring to Tennessee ... anyways I thought I'd throw in my thoughts about the law school.

I believe they are trying to rise in the rankings through methods like yield protection and it's one 3rd tier school that does have the money to improve its program. All of the undergrad profs talk about the law school as though it's the Harvard of the south. Several of my friends were "Stetson Law or bust" when they could have gone to a better school. Those friends who are Stetson Law students now or have graduated law school truly believe their school is one of the elite ... that being said I would go to FSU in heartbeat over Stetson Law. Congrats!