Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Police Officers ----> Law School  (Read 4409 times)

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: Police Officers ----> Law School
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2005, 09:44:52 PM »
angmill08,

When you get a chance, pick up a copy of 25 to life, written by Leslie Crocker Snyder.  It autobiography of her life as a assistant DA, defense attorney, and judge. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

ningirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2005, 10:37:15 PM »
sounds like an intriguing book. I may have to read it also :)
OSU Moritz

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2005, 02:27:16 AM »

I am interested in the intersection between policework and lawyers' work and am interested to know how people who have worked in law enforcement plan to use their law degree. Work for DAs? Defense? Or non-criminal law?

I have an interest in working criminal prosecution, just not much interest in doing it at the county level.  Although I am not (contrary to most people's belief) getting a JD to make lots more money... I can't see going though the time, trouble and expense to start making less money after I'm done.  This is what would happen if I were to start with the prosecutor's office.  The US Atty's office seems a lot more interesting to me.  More opportunity to work someplace different as well as a better earning curve to help make the change more worthwhile.

Outside of that I can't really see myself working criminal law.  While I believe in our system of courts and think we are all entitled to a vigorous defense, I don't particularly want to be the one doing the defending.  If I could know that I would get nothing but innocent parties then it would be worthwhile, but no one can know that.

Outside that... I am hoping law school peaks my interest in some of the specialties that are available.  Who knows, I might decide admiralty law is a blast.