Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Police Officers ----> Law School  (Read 4642 times)

scubasteve

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Police Officers ----> Law School
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 09:05:18 AM »
I'm a former deputy sheriff with 10 years experience and just completed my first year of law school.

scubasteve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 09:07:54 AM »
Sounds like your research involved wearing handcuffs as you were pushed into the back seat of a police car.

I once was idealistic and actually wanted to be a cop. Then through research I discovered the dark underbelly, and thin blue line that protects crooked cops and often harms the innocent.

angelus

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »
Sounds like your research involved wearing handcuffs as you were pushed into the back seat of a police car.

I once was idealistic and actually wanted to be a cop. Then through research I discovered the dark underbelly, and thin blue line that protects crooked cops and often harms the innocent.

Why is it that police think that if someone doesn't see them as gods that the person MUST be a criminal. Check it out bozo, your just as flawed, frail and full of feces as the rest of humanity. You have no more character than anyone else. You are not the badge the badge is not you. In a sense many people need their badges, titles, and degrees to be somebody.

I ask a question....Who are you?

you: I'm a cop.

me: That's your job not you, Who are you?

ya see jackball, I look at both sides of the issue and when I see some numbnut like you desperately trying to climb the mountain of ego inflated superiority I dig in my fangs and drag them back down. Also, you are an enforcer of the law, you are NOT the law. The law affects you just like everyone else and there would certainly be more police in behind bars if not for the buddy system in which they protect their own at all costs.

yeah there's good cops out there, but not all cops are good.

EvidenceWhore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005, 11:41:32 AM »
I looked at your first response in this thread. His question was very specific. I am honestly curious, why did you feel the need to respond the way you did?

angelus

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2005, 11:46:50 AM »
I looked at your first response in this thread. His question was very specific. I am honestly curious, why did you feel the need to respond the way you did?

The first post I made in this thread was sarcasm. Unfortunately the police here took it offensively. In our society we have elevated police to such a level that they (and most of the public) beleive they are untouchable by anyone or anything, including the law. They are not untouchable.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »

The first post I made in this thread was sarcasm. Unfortunately the police here took it offensively. In our society we have elevated police to such a level that they (and most of the public) beleive they are untouchable by anyone or anything, including the law. They are not untouchable.

You seem really bitter.

angelus

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 11:54:49 AM »

You seem really bitter.

Only because i had a cop harrass me at my job when I was homeless, take my car, threaten my life, destroy property, and physically assault me and then the Public Defender told me there wasn't anything I could do. The millitary wannabe reject snot nosed punk never paid any consequences for his actions. All I could do was sit there and take it. Yeah, I am bitter because society doesn't hold them to higher standards than the public.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 11:58:41 AM »

You seem really bitter.

Only because i had a cop harrass me at my job when I was homeless, take my car, threaten my life, destroy property, and physically assault me and then the Public Defender told me there wasn't anything I could do. The millitary wannabe reject snot nosed punk never paid any consequences for his actions. All I could do was sit there and take it. Yeah, I am bitter because society doesn't hold them to higher standards than the public.

I can see why your opinion of the police is somewhat jaded, and rightly so. Don't indict them all, though. The vast majority are good, hard-working people. That's certainly not the case for all of them, but that's true of any group of people.

EvidenceWhore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 11:59:25 AM »

I guess I still am wondering why you chose to answer the way that you did. Why the need for sarcasm? He was trying to connect with other people who have had the same experiences. I'm not sure why that qualifies for an attack.

And, just as an aside, I worked for several years as a police officer and worked with many others who have done it for quite some time. The consensus among the people I have worked with has never been that the police are untouchable. I have never felt that way. I can't stand police officers who feel that they are above the law. They definitely exist, but that is true in any profession.

I don't think it is out of line for someone to be offended when the post was very specific and asking for help. If it had been a general topic on police officers in general, then that would seem to make the response warranted It wasn't a general topic and I think that is why you got the reaction that you did. Given the true topic of the post, did you expect it to be any different?

EvidenceWhore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 12:00:35 PM »
You posted a response while I was posting. I don't blame you for feeling the way that you do toward that specific officer. We are not all like that.