Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Police Officers ----> Law School  (Read 4835 times)

EvidenceWhore

• View Profile
Re: Police Officers ----> Law School
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 08:26:36 PM »
Aside from the whole argument that seems to be brewing on this thread... :o

In response to the OP, I was an officer for seven years and left to attend law school. I will be graduating in May. Based on my experience, you will probably love it. Did you have any specific questions?

LegalLassie

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 12:37:47 AM »
Just an interesting aside: I worked for the DA's office for years and one of the DA's LEFT to become a Police Officer.  It was all very strange because here was this guy who would come back and visit us, telling how he was going through the police academy.  A guy with a JD!  Yet, after working as a prosecutor, he wanted to be an officer so that he could be out in the field and taking some kind of action.  Always found this interesting.

EvidenceWhore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »
Just an interesting aside: I worked for the DA's office for years and one of the DA's LEFT to become a Police Officer.  It was all very strange because here was this guy who would come back and visit us, telling how he was going through the police academy.  A guy with a JD!  Yet, after working as a prosecutor, he wanted to be an officer so that he could be out in the field and taking some kind of action.  Always found this interesting.

If that is what he really wanted to do, more power to him. Having gone the other route, I do find that a bit odd though. I can't realy explan why. Not bad, just odd.

LegalLassie

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 12:26:46 PM »

If that is what he really wanted to do, more power to him. Having gone the other route, I do find that a bit odd though. I can't realy explan why. Not bad, just odd.

I agree, odd it was.  He is very happy now with the SO, however, happier than I ever saw him as a DA.

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 11:07:39 PM »
To Angelus, "prick" does come to mind upon reading your repeated posts, but my heart has nothing to do with it.  That aside, you're right that I could care less about your opinion.  I was replying since that is what people on here do, we post, and reply to other posts, I'm sure you are aware of the routine.  That said, okay. we are done, since apparantly by responding I seem to be making you feel I have a dark heart or whatever it is you are going on about.  I will not reply to you at all anymore, there... I think that is what you were trying to ask for.

On to the topic this thread was intended for, and thanks very much for the replies that actually had something to do with it!!

I don't really have any specific questions per se, but I am interested how you felt your experience as an LEO translated into anything either useful or even something that was a drawback in law school.

As for the lawyer turned cop, I know one too.  A classmate of mine in the police academy was (and is) an attorney.  He was in private practice tho, I do think it would be much more unusual for a prosecutor to decide to make that switch.  That said, another classmate of mine used to be a firefighter, also unusual as they usually quit being POs to be FFs, not the other way around.

ningirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 11:09:40 PM »
My boyfriend is a deputy, and he'd make such an excellent lawyer. I wish he would go to LS with me!!
OSU Moritz

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 11:13:48 PM »
My boyfriend is a deputy, and he'd make such an excellent lawyer. I wish he would go to LS with me!!
Well maybe he will, I think you are waiting till 07 to start right?

ningirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 11:18:53 PM »

Cool, you remembered!  :o

I don't think he will.. unfortunatly, he doesn't have a bachelor's degree. He only went to college for two years. But it'd been cool if he could finish up the other two and then go!! Maybe I can talk him into it.  ;)
OSU Moritz

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 11:23:42 PM »

Cool, you remembered!  :o

I don't think he will.. unfortunatly, he doesn't have a bachelor's degree. He only went to college for two years. But it'd been cool if he could finish up the other two and then go!! Maybe I can talk him into it.  ;)

Well the main thing is he really has to want to.  Plus it depends on how much he likes working as a deputy.  I was mentioning in another thread that being happy with your career is much more valuable than being paid really well.  In my case I like my career quite a bit and actually make good money, but I love learning the law and saw a J.D. as a much better alternative to a grad degree I didn't really want.  Once I'm done with law school I'll have the option to go into law full time as an attorney or continue in law enforcement with a greater understanding of the law.

LegalLassie

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 12:59:17 AM »

As for the lawyer turned cop, I know one too.  A classmate of mine in the police academy was (and is) an attorney.  He was in private practice tho, I do think it would be much more unusual for a prosecutor to decide to make that switch. 

It was unusual - first DA I ever knew to quit and become a police officer.  But, he is happy now and (not meaning to sound corny) at the end of the day that is what matters.