Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Police Officers ----> Law School  (Read 4871 times)

bulletproof

• View Profile
Police Officers ----> Law School
« on: July 16, 2005, 08:01:43 AM »
I'm wondering if there are any past or present police officers on the way to law school?  I'm 35 with 9 years experience in a major city police department and making the switch to law school.  I'll be starting this fall.

If not a police officer/deputy/etc.  How many other people are in fields that bring them in contact with attorneys/judges/courts and decided to go to law school. 

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Police Officers ----> Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 12:39:30 PM »
Hey bulletproof...

I am a former LEO, 10 yrs WE mostly in smaller rural depts.  I am applying in the upcoming app cycle. 

angelus

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »
I would think the transition would be too difficult. I.E. when a lawyer your supposed to consider your client innocent and NOT beat them into submission.

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 05:43:04 PM »
I would think the transition would be too difficult. I.E. when a lawyer your supposed to consider your client innocent and NOT beat them into submission.

as opposed to assuming that all police officers are guilty of beating people into submission...

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 03:27:53 AM »

Well I'm sure you'll make a fine attorney with that open mind of yours!

angelus

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 01:44:23 PM »
I have an open mind. I also know how the backdoor of the system operates. Far to often people with freinds in high places tend to grant each other favors.

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »
I have an open mind. I also know how the backdoor of the system operates. Far to often people with freinds in high places tend to grant each other favors.

Okay, great... so what does that have to do with me?  You make an assumption that I have something to do with beating people into submission.  Just as an attorney is supposed to presume his client innocent, maybe you should start doing the same with your fellow man.  Otherwise you will assume everyone charged with any crime couldn't possibly have done it, but every one of the hundred thousand plus police officers in this country are beating people for no reason.  That's open minded?

angelus

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »
Okay, great... so what does that have to do with me?  You make an assumption that I have something to do with beating people into submission.  Just as an attorney is supposed to presume his client innocent, maybe you should start doing the same with your fellow man.  Otherwise you will assume everyone charged with any crime couldn't possibly have done it, but every one of the hundred thousand plus police officers in this country are beating people for no reason.  That's open minded?

False assumption of assumption on your part. I was simply stating the possibility. I think there are some cops who do good out there and honestly try to, yet I also think there are cops out there who belong behind bars. I see evidence in the world to support both conclusions.

And pardon me for being a bit cynical. I once was idealistic and actually wanted to be a cop. Then through research I discovered the dark underbelly, and thin blue line that protects crooked cops and often harms the innocent. Police get no benefit of doubt from me nor does anyone else. A badge, a degree, etc says only that you completed courses X, Y, and Z. It says nothing of the character of the person with those bits of metal and paper.

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

False assumption of assumption on your part. I was simply stating the possibility. I think there are some cops who do good out there and honestly try to, yet I also think there are cops out there who belong behind bars. I see evidence in the world to support both conclusions.

And pardon me for being a bit cynical. I once was idealistic and actually wanted to be a cop. Then through research I discovered the dark underbelly, and thin blue line that protects crooked cops and often harms the innocent. Police get no benefit of doubt from me nor does anyone else. A badge, a degree, etc says only that you completed courses X, Y, and Z. It says nothing of the character of the person with those bits of metal and paper.

Well, you are certainly entitled to the opinion, and I don't begrudge you for it... but this entire conversation (if we can call it that) started after I made a simple enquiry about any police officers going to law school and you decided to post to the thread saying something about police not making the transition to lawyers since they beat people.  That sound about accurate?

Completely unrelated to the thread topic and obviously just intended to be mean spirited and try to stir people (me I suppose) up.  What was the point?  Does it make you feel better?  I'm sorry to inform you that I am not part of the "dark underbelly" you uncovered through your research.  First off how many cops that are some sort of criminals are going to take the time, effort, and expenses involved in becoming a lawyer?  Well.. there is no point in going on, suffice to say I am an honest person and I've done nothing but work hard and follow the rules.  I have a love of the law and I wish to learn more about it.

What I'd suggest to you is to get to know some police officers, you may find they are people just like you and even human.  Take care and best of luck to you in your future in the law.

angelus

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 02:55:06 PM »
Why are you so concerned with my opinion? Do you actually care what I think? Why does it bother you so much if you are NOT part of dark underbelly? Why are you taking my comments in regards to SOME police officers so personally. My intention was not to be mean spirited, yet I feel from your words that I have pricked your heart and made you look at a bit of truth and reality.

Well, you are certainly entitled to the opinion, and I don't begrudge you for it... but this entire conversation (if we can call it that) started after I made a simple enquiry about any police officers going to law school and you decided to post to the thread saying something about police not making the transition to lawyers since they beat people.  That sound about accurate?

Completely unrelated to the thread topic and obviously just intended to be mean spirited and try to stir people (me I suppose) up.  What was the point?  Does it make you feel better?  I'm sorry to inform you that I am not part of the "dark underbelly" you uncovered through your research.  First off how many cops that are some sort of criminals are going to take the time, effort, and expenses involved in becoming a lawyer?  Well.. there is no point in going on, suffice to say I am an honest person and I've done nothing but work hard and follow the rules.  I have a love of the law and I wish to learn more about it.

What I'd suggest to you is to get to know some police officers, you may find they are people just like you and even human.  Take care and best of luck to you in your future in the law.