Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS Help Please!!  (Read 885 times)

Deanna

• View Profile
PS Help Please!!
« on: July 15, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »
Anybody wanna let me read their PS? I have no idea what I'm doing!! PM me, pppllleeeaaasseee.

HBCU.EDU

Re: PS Help Please!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 10:41:03 PM »
Anybody wanna let me read their PS? I have no idea what I'm doing!! PM me, pppllleeeaaasseee.

Deanna- welcome to BLSD. Where from? Where do you want to study law and what is your UG institution? Tell us a little something about yourself. There are 3 lawyers on this board and a gang of 1Ls, and black pre-law students that can give you direction with your personal statement.

You can go to this site: http://www.essayedge.com/law/editing/ and it will show you a few PS sample essays. I actually used this service and it served me well. It was the best $100.00 I ever spent. It's not something that everyone needs but I knew my PS had to be very good if I was going to get into law school as my numbers were not the best. So, yeah...tell us something about you and we can get you started. Have you taken the LSAT? What are your numbers? Are you still in UG or did you graduate?      

Deanna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 01:14:17 PM »

Deanna- welcome to BLSD. Where from? Where do you want to study law and what is your UG institution? Tell us a little something about yourself. There are 3 lawyers on this board and a gang of 1Ls, and black pre-law students that can give you direction with your personal statement.

You can go to this site: http://www.essayedge.com/law/editing/ and it will show you a few PS sample essays. I actually used this service and it served me well. It was the best $100.00 I ever spent. It's not something that everyone needs but I knew my PS had to be very good if I was going to get into law school as my numbers were not the best. So, yeah...tell us something about you and we can get you started. Have you taken the LSAT? What are your numbers? Are you still in UG or did you graduate?      

Well first off, I'm from NY but am looking to study law out of state, preferably Florida. I attend City College, a CUNY school, which I think might be somewhat of a disadvantage. I think some one else on here attends a CUNY school as well.

I currently have a 3.2 and my major is Political Science. I haven't taken the LSAT, but plan to take it in Oct. I am self-studying and it looks like I will end up somewhere in the high 150s-low 160s. My dream school is UF but I am also applying to the Univ. of Miami and some NY schools.

Thank you for suggesting essayedge, I will definitely check that out, and read some samples. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My gpa is kinda low so I know I need an exceptional PS.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 01:42:39 PM »

Well first off, I'm from NY but am looking to study law out of state, preferably Florida. I attend City College, a CUNY school, which I think might be somewhat of a disadvantage. I think some one else on here attends a CUNY school as well.

I currently have a 3.2 and my major is Political Science. I haven't taken the LSAT, but plan to take it in Oct. I am self-studying and it looks like I will end up somewhere in the high 150s-low 160s. My dream school is UF but I am also applying to the Univ. of Miami and some NY schools.

Thank you for suggesting essayedge, I will definitely check that out, and read some samples. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My gpa is kinda low so I know I need an exceptional PS.

I didn't have the best numbers so I knew my PS had to be tight. Hey, if you use essay edge I recommend that you work with Teresa Crockett as your editor. She did a great job with my PS.

You are in luck if you want to go to UF because we definitely have one member of BLSD  that graduated from UF Law. I know ElegantPeral graduated from there in 2001 and I think LP did as well.  I donít think you are at a disadvantage for going to City College. Your LSAT will give you all the advantage you need. 

Are you a URM? i.e. African-American? What direction did you want to take your PS? My PS was two pages double-spaced and I focused on overcoming adversity.

Deanna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 02:29:50 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation. Looks like I'm going to be shelling out a lot of money during this process, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I am a URM-African American. And as far as my PS goes, I've gotten a little advice on it. It looks like it's going to focus on how I've changed as an individual. I'm not a very outgoing person, or a person who likes to step up and take leadership roles, so I'm writing about how my experiences with adversity have shown me the necessity of taking an active role in helping to better my community. Hopefully this will show my diversity as well as my leadership ability and my reason for wanting to extend my education.
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,38062.0.html

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:01:19 PM »
I go to a CUNY school and I don't think it will be a disadvantage at all. As long as your LSAT is strong, you have just as much of a chance as anyone.

I am working on my PS as well and I think your topic is very strong. I am interested to see what advice you get, because my topic and situation is very similar to yours. PM me if you want to compare notes.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 05:31:53 PM »
I go to a CUNY school and I don't think it will be a disadvantage at all. As long as your LSAT is strong, you have just as much of a chance as anyone.

Agreed.  A classmate of mine at Berkeley was a CUNY grad with an LSAT in the high 150's. 
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.