Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-school study plan  (Read 6642 times)

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pre-school study plan
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »
You guys are all worked up in this thread........use that pre law prep plan and CHILL!!!!!!!
 ;)

Smartest thing that has been said all day!   :D

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2004, 09:25:25 AM »
It doesnt matter how in love with the law you are...law school is designed to have this affect (according to a family member who is a law prof/admissions board director) because it is the best weeding out method they have after the admission process...hence many schools 30-50% drop out rate for 1L's.

Sorry Sarahz,

don't mean to pick on you.  I personally agree with dta, but I also completely respect your opinion and think that those that choose your method of preparation can be extremely successful in law school.  So regarding this thread, I think it's pointless to go on.

I do suggest however, that come the end of January after our first semester is over and we get our marks back, posters such as GA Krista, JeffJoe, dta, Findendeaux (sorry about the spelling) and you can come back and share your experiences.

As for the quote above, I sure hope you typed that in error because to see 30-50% of my class drop out after 1L would be much too Paper-Chase-ish for me.  When you referred to "many" schools experiencing this type of attrition numbers, which schools were you referring too?

Headed to Hofstra in August!

dta

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2004, 10:25:01 AM »
Actually, i'll be starting law school in Fall 2005. But I would certainly appreciate seeing canuck and Findedeux post to this site after the first sememster of law school. Any recommendations on changes to the prep study plan would be greatly appreciated.

jgruber

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2004, 10:29:59 AM »
I do suggest however, that come the end of January after our first semester is over and we get our marks back, posters such as GA Krista, JeffJoe, dta, Findendeaux (sorry about the spelling) and you can come back and share your experiences.

By that time we will be thoroughly jaded and bitter.  We plan to write a diatribe on the evils of law schools and lawyers, which will be called Everything You Need To Know To Hate Law School and will be offered on Amazon at a price of $125,000.  It will cost as much as law school and will come with a nice diploma for a JOD, (Jerked-Off Doctorate).

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2004, 01:24:35 PM »

By that time we will be thoroughly jaded and bitter.  We plan to write a diatribe on the evils of law schools and lawyers, which will be called Everything You Need To Know To Hate Law School and will be offered on Amazon at a price of $125,000.  It will cost as much as law school and will come with a nice diploma for a JOD, (Jerked-Off Doctorate).

;D JeffJoe....don't be a cantankerous old man!  hahahaha.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

jgruber

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2004, 01:28:23 PM »
I'm not being that.  I'm being funny.  Really I am.

;D JeffJoe....don't be a cantankerous old man!  hahahaha.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2004, 01:39:29 PM »
As for the quote above, I sure hope you typed that in error because to see 30-50% of my class drop out after 1L would be much too Paper-Chase-ish for me.  When you referred to "many" schools experiencing this type of attrition numbers, which schools were you referring too?

I didnt type that in error.  I was surprised by it as much as you...I dont have the book infront of me, but in the ABA guide that gives you info on schools and their stats from the year before many of the schools had a 30-50% drop out rate.  Whittier is one that i can remember off the top of my head, and william mitchell too...i'm blanking on the rest.

I've heard those schools (usually 3rd and 4th tier) refered to as 1L-mills.  basically they admit extra students that they know dont have much of a chance to succeed but they take their tuition money until they flunk out and/or leave.  If the student does succeed then the school didnt loose anything by admiting them.

Its one of the stats i used to pick which school i wanted to attend.  My future school had a 6% drop-out rate (considered one of the lowest).

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2004, 04:03:40 PM »
I'm going to Whittier in the fall and the last time I looked it had one of the highest attrition rates, sitting right around 30%.  I've NEVER heard of one over that, certainly not 50%.  And its true, they let in people other schools would never give a chance, but those that make the cut and stay do just as well as those at any other comparable school.  Someone's gotta give a chance to those who typically wouldn't get in law schools, I bet quite a few have turned out to be very successful.  I always like the underdog stories!  :)
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2004, 05:46:57 PM »
I just got a letter from my school that says,

"Throughout the coming months you will be receiving a variety of mailings to assist you in preparing for the start of school on August 16th.  In the meantime, I suggest that you spend this time doing the things you love with the people you love - you'll have less time for this once your studies begin."

I'm taking this advice.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2004, 12:39:13 AM »
I'm going to Whittier in the fall and the last time I looked it had one of the highest attrition rates, sitting right around 30%.  I've NEVER heard of one over that, certainly not 50%.  And its true, they let in people other schools would never give a chance, but those that make the cut and stay do just as well as those at any other comparable school.  Someone's gotta give a chance to those who typically wouldn't get in law schools, I bet quite a few have turned out to be very successful.  I always like the underdog stories!  :)

There were some right at 50% according to the book i was shown...??  Either way, a 30% drop out rate still seems insane to me.  And while i like the idea of allowing people in who might not get in elsewhere, and there is nothing that says they wont do as well as anyone else...30% leave.  That means a few things to me...that the school allows in WAY to many people who are not going to suceed and is doing it for the $$$ or that they could care less about their students and their rate of success (at least as a 1L) because they want the $$$.   Anyway you look at it there has to be something about these schools that cause their students to leave in mass quantities...NOT something that speaks well of the school