Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-school study plan  (Read 6720 times)

jgruber

Pre-school study plan
« on: June 14, 2004, 08:45:49 PM »
After much agonizing and reading, I have decided on my plan of action for the time remaining before the fall term starts.  I am going to take my old friend's, the lawyer, advice.  I'm gonna relax and rest and read a lot of junk.

I will re-read Law School Confidential, in part, and the Complete Law School Companion about a week before school starts, but that's about it.

Fingers crossed.

Lipper316

Re: Pre-school study plan
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 11:27:59 PM »
Same here. I was gonna get all the books recommended by Planet Law School and study, study, study durig the summer, but F that. EVERY SINGLE lawyer i know, and every law student I know said to relax, chill, work and make some $$$ before school starts. Rather than take the advice of some dude I dont know, I am taking the majority's advice.

jamiek12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 09:25:20 AM »
yay!  2 normal people.  i'm just reading for fun, working, and hanging out with friends this summer.  as a pre-law student, i feel like i need to do something to get ahead.  but i've been advised that the best thing to do is to go in with a clear head, ready to study...not burnt out from studying general law books.  have a good summer!  :D

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 11:04:44 AM »
I might read some more books by Dershowitz. I find them easy reading and not really studying.

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 11:17:06 AM »
I WILL CRUSH ALL OF YOU THIS FALL!!! :)

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 11:19:16 AM »
I WILL CRUSH ALL OF YOU THIS FALL!!! :)

We will survive you and wear you down!!!! :D

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 06:55:16 PM »
I guess then, that I am the only one doing the PLSII thing. The program is really unrealistic though. You'd have to study 8 hours for 3 months to get finished with everything (6 Primers, LEEWS, CALI, +2 more books). I am doing a pretty relaxed 4-6 hours a day routine. I still feel like I am a lazy bastard, so I guess I have the best of both worlds, LOL. Seriously, I am not sure how much it means that most people suggest you  relax during the summer, only because none of the people I've talked to (or heard about) who advise relaxing ever tried studying.

dta

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 07:12:43 PM »
Hey Findedeux - tell me about this regimented study plan you're on. Before I enter law school in Fall 2005 i'm planning on studying before school, but i didn't know there is some kind of recommended systematic plan. I was just gonna "roll my own". But if there's a more 'official' method I'd like to hear about it.

thanks.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 08:44:45 PM »
dta: I'm just following the 3-month plan as laid out in Planet Law School II. Most people won't recommend this book because they think it's too negative. That may be so, but the materials he has you go over are very useful. Your basically working over study aids now that you might buy later for your first year classes. I have bought the Aspen Primers Examples and Explanations series for every first year course, along with the LEEWS exam taking system, the CALI computer program (that has law courses on it), and some other books on briefing cases, etc. I really don't think this kind of preparation can hurt you; it gives you a knowledge base to work from in law school, and it also introduces you to the type of reasoning you can expect in law school. Lots of hypotheticals and what-if situations. There is actually a one year program in the book, so you could start on LS prep soon if you wanted. I was actually thinking of trying to defer my acceptance to LS until the Spring so I could study it all at my leisure (yes-I am anal retentive), but I think my LS would have laughed at me when I told them the reason I wanted the deferral. One of the great things about these primers is that you get a taste for which subjects you like. I dig contracts and torts, and can't stand civil procedure.  I was afraid law school would be really boring, but I enjoy these books. That's not to say reading cases will be as interesting as reading primers, but since it is the same subject there should still be a healthy level of interest (I hope). Anyway, you can get all 8 books plus the LEEWS (tapes+book) along with CALI for around 350-450. Considering the average person graduates with 80K in debt, that's not a lot for the possible influence it could have on your law school performance.

dta

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 09:23:38 PM »
Cool. I think i'll buy PLS II just to get the recommended study plan. I've heard about PLS II and its whole angle of "Law proffs are evil and teach you nothing - here's the *REAL* scoop". Personally, i'm a bit wary of anyone who, basically, says "They're brainwashing you! They're all liars! Listen to me - I speak the truth!". But I figure regardless of whatever philosophical rubbish is peddled in the book, the recommended study plan would be better than anything I cobbled together myself.

Anyway, thanks for the info.