Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-school study plan  (Read 6555 times)

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pre-school study plan
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2004, 09:06:24 AM »
Well, Whittier is actually making strides to change their numbers.  They let in lots of students that can't get in anywhere else and give them a chance, but you still have to weed out the ones who just aren't cut out for it.  If someone knows they barely got into law school then they need to bust their ass to stay in or know that they might be wasting their money on a year of school and won't be back the next year. 

Like I said though, Whittier has decided to attack this problem with a new Academic Success Program that runs all of first year, as well as offering a third year bar review course to increase their bar passage rate.  I think last year was the first year all these programs were in place, so we'll see how their numbers change over the next couple of years.  I think they're definitely making the effort by offering all of the programs the ASP now offers, but the people have to go take advantage of it.  The school is NEVER going to just hold your hand and walk you through everything, the student still has to make an effort.  I do applaud their new efforts though, I think it'll make a difference in their numbers.  This summer's bar scores will hopefully show improvement, as this is the first year 3Ls have had the long bar review course to take at the school.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pre-school study plan
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2004, 11:32:26 AM »
I dont think schools have to hold your hand but there are things that they can do which show their commitment to their student rather then just looking at them for $$$.  I think its good to have the 3L programs but the drop out rate is for 1L's...if they know that 30% of their class is going to drop out...then they are taking advantage of some of those students. 

Again, i think its good to accept in borderline students but at the same time, if all arrows point to their inability to succeed why not be honest about it and give that person a reality check about their chances...No matter what i think at schools like that (not just whittier-there are plenty others out there)-tuition dollars come first, then students.