Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Food Thread  (Read 3234 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Food Thread
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 12:37:15 PM »
dude is like 4'1  :D

a friend of mine dated tigger, that would suck for her if he is a homosexual
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
really!??!?  He looks tall on tv!!! ;D

dude is like 4'1  :D

a friend of mine dated tigger, that would suck for her if he is a homosexual
Think before you speak.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 02:24:33 PM »
he's not tall.. i bumped into him at BWI once..grimey looking negro

do any of you guys watch Emeril?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
I used to watch Emeril all the time!  Some of that food he makes looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!  BAM!

I like the show on the Food channel called "The Secret Life of....".  It gives you interesting history lessons on some favorite foods (i.e. popcorn, pretzels, hot dogs, ice cream, etc.).

he's not tall.. i bumped into him at BWI once..grimey looking negro

do any of you guys watch Emeril?
Think before you speak.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 02:36:14 PM »
man.. food network was my friend for the holidays.. i hooked it UP on Thanksgiving... it was great.. first time i made thanksgiving dinner by myself and it turned out very well

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2005, 03:00:09 PM »
I am NEVER eating scrapple again.  I can't BELIEVE people eat it raw too!!!  This and liverwurst....(where's the vomit avatar!!!)

Scrapple
Pork Mush -- The Pennsylvania Treat
By Lynn Kerrigan

Unless you live in the Middle Atlantic states, you may have never had the dubious pleasure of breakfasting on scrapple - a fried slice of pork-mush. Often erroneously called Philadelphia Scrapple, it's really a dish that originated in the Eastern Pennsylvania farmlands of German born settlers - far from the city of Brotherly Love.

It's dictionary defined as "cornmeal mush made with the meat and broth of pork, seasoned with onions, spices and herbs and shaped into loaves for slicing and frying." The word, scrapple originates from "scrap" or "scrappy" meaning made up of odds and ends for that's exactly what it is - boiled, ground leftover pig scraps with cornmeal and spices thrown in. Scrapple lovers think of it as food for the gods. Anti-scrapplers consider it a culinary abomination.

Scrapple is the unique creation of the Pennsylvania Dutch, and therefore only quasi-American as the immigrants combined their German heritage with New World ingredients. The term "Pennsylvania Dutch" is a corrupted form of Pennsylvania Deutsche, mostly transplanted Rhineland farmers who worked hard and ate heartily. They are frugal people and many of their dishes make imaginative use of every part of the butchered hog's anatomy. Scrapple is one of them.

But what parts of the hog go into the creation of scrapple? After the ham, bacon, chops and other cuts of meat are taken from the butchered pig - what remains are fixings for scrapple - including the meat scraped off the head. Scrapple may contain pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue - even pork brains. Those faint of palate needn't venture any further.

If one can get past what goes into making scrapple, he or she may discover it tastes surprising good - like country-style pork sausage with a unique shape and texture. It's a deck of cards sized slab, crispy on the outside, soft inside and may be embellished with butter, maple syrup, applesauce, ketchup or mashed in with its usual partner: a plateful of fried eggs. Besides, modern day recipes make no use of questionable pork parts. (See recipes below.)

Being born and raised in Pennsylvania, I was destined to have a piece of a scrapple slapped across my breakfast plate. Being a good source of cheap protein, it often made a morning appearance at our table. I didn't quite relish it because of its gray color. That may have been the fault of my mother, the cook. Properly prepared and fried, scrapple should be a tasty looking golden brown.

Although edible raw, Scrapple is usually sliced and fried in butter or lard. Served in a deep, placid pool of egg yolk and ketchup, it is a veritable cholesterol meltdown. It is in arguably and unfathomably vile.

Think before you speak.

faith2005

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 03:17:14 PM »
LOL! my aunt is in love with the food network. she is always asking me to print out recipes. i watch emeril. i know she likes him. she also likes the secret life of show i think. i watched one of those with her about ice cream, and at dinner the food network always comes up. yesterday she was talking about how she realized that people eat salads after their meal in some countries.  :D

scrapple, i wouldn't even let it be cooked in a pan i planned to use for my food. thats nasty!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »
man i got this recipe for bread pudding from everyday italian that i want to try too... watching the food network can make one quite the chef lol

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 03:32:01 PM »
Umwrapped is a good show too.  Most of the time it's all about CANDY!!!!
Think before you speak.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 06:11:29 PM »
Does anyone actually learn to cook watching the food channel. I can't make anything but greens, macaroni and cheese, fried chicken crabs and lobster, and my mother told me everything but my macaroni and cheese sucks, (her exact words). Women nowadays aren't trying to deal with a dude who can't cook, I need help
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass