Law School Discussion

Palestinian = URM???

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Palestinian = URM???
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »
We tried diversity in American history? And it DIDN"T work? Look around people, it HAS worked, there are many different races ethnicities and such in America, so it has.

faith2005

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2005, 02:22:30 PM »
i'm pretty sure from reading the previous post that the discussion was about diversity in higher education (i.e. creating a diverse class). it was only after being forced via a.a. policies that people of color began to attend colleges and universities in numbers anywhere near their proportion of the population. thats what i'm saying.

dividebyzero

• Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2005, 02:51:20 PM »
I wonder if East Timorese counts as a URM  ;D?

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2005, 03:00:01 AM »
I'm left-handed and Palestinian. I'm even more of a precious little flower than I originally thought...

i'm late to the roll call, but i'm left-handed and middle eastern (and don't consider myself a URM and checked the caucasian box on all my apps).  oh, and i didn't read the rest of this thread (except a post on the first page with my name in it).

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2005, 03:22:15 AM »
I would agree that this is becoming more about politics than answering the damn question. Palestinians are not URM's though as mentioned above you may get points for a good PS. You may also get points for applying especially in the south (Emory/Vandy/Duke/Va).  Some schools don't even see Cubans as URMs even though they are hispanic and risked life and limb to get here from a dictatorship. Do not go off ranting about politics in your PS as you might offend someone on the admissions staff. Keep it factual.

faith2005

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2005, 10:32:20 AM »
i agree. it was only done to create a middle class. plenty of people have still been left behind.

i'm pretty sure from reading the previous post that the discussion was about diversity in higher education (i.e. creating a diverse class). it was only after being forced via a.a. policies that people of color began to attend colleges and universities in numbers anywhere near their proportion of the population. thats what i'm saying.

But don't you agree that the way it is currently used, AA is a solution to the problem that doesn't really address it?  That's really my concern, the idea that no one wants to really make things equal opportunity for the underprivileged of all races or sexes, they just want to hand a few open spots to a select group that even bothers applying and to hell with actually improving anything else.  To me it is a lot like people wanting to drill in Alaska for oil.  They might possibly find a few barrels that will last a couple of years, but it's going to do nothing to deal with the long term problem. 

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »

I'm with Pookie on this one... I'm an Iranian-American and I don't consider myself a URM

i'm late to the roll call, but i'm left-handed and middle eastern (and don't consider myself a URM and checked the caucasian box on all my apps). oh, and i didn't read the rest of this thread (except a post on the first page with my name in it).

I learned from you TDPookie... actually, I'm just copying you and seeing if that'll get me into Yale.....  ;D

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2005, 03:55:24 PM »
 ;D  good luck!