Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Career Outlook  (Read 1492 times)

Dimitry Kheyfits

Career Outlook
« on: July 31, 2003, 06:32:01 AM »
Hey everyone,

After talking with many people I've collected a bunch of opinions, mostly pointing in opposite directions. Some people seem to think that the law labor force is overcrowded, and it is extremely difficult to get a job and do well - while others believe that lawyers are in great demand(a law student who just got a summer job was told by a head hunter that legal jobs were the only ones he could place at this time - Albany, NY). I would imagine that coming out of a top notch law school, employment wouldn't be a problem. What about a 2nd or 3rd tier school? If you went to a lower ranked school, would you still be able to get a good salary? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

CaliLaw

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LaSaan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Career Outlook
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 03:21:09 PM »
Yes, pleeeeease....someone with knowledge about this, give some insight. I really want to know.

Are there dramatic differences between the demand of attorneys from top tier vs. 2nd,3rd tier schools? This is in terms of salary, job placement, etc? Or is that all a myth while the true indicator is not which school you go to, but how well you do IN law school?

PLEASE, we need answers!!!  ::)

ichard o'connor

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 04:10:20 PM »
I heard from the Dean of Students at my undergraduate institution that 5 people with law degrees applied to be student activities director a position that pays about 24000. I have heard many stories of lawyers struggling to make ends meet. With so many people entering law school the pasts two years the job market for lawyers will only get tougher. It will be a hard decision for us deciding to spend 60000 or 70000 dollars  to get a law degree.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 11:15:43 AM »
Although the sad but true- truth is that it does matter somewhat which law school tier you get into. Let's face it a 2nd tier or top tier law school will not rival witha bottom tier law school.  With that said, I still believe that how well you DO is much much much more important that where you GO.
GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141