Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harder to suddenly get in off WL for non-trads?  (Read 1241 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Harder to suddenly get in off WL for non-trads?
« on: July 14, 2005, 04:08:13 PM »
I just got into my #1 choice off the waitlist after I was told chances of this occuring were "slim to none".  Unfortunately, I manage a small firm and told them I would stay b/c I was going to reapply to my #1 choice next cycle.   My fiance and I have been operating since June on the premise that I was going to school next fall.  Now I feel like kind of a jerk for asking my 1st choice for a deferral and have taken heat for it on this board as well.

Anyone else have this issue come up? 

I don't want to start law school after burning a bridge with my current employer, hurting clients who have depended on me for years, being freaked out over housing and the move, not being able to have the SO come with me and not having enough cash saved. 

Eek!

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harder to suddenly get in off WL for non-trads?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 07:19:51 PM »
You are doing the right thing, just think you will be at your 1st choice next year with no problems.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 09:35:53 AM »
Thanks for your support.  Really!

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 05:11:41 PM »
Have you spoken to your firm about the sudden change in your circumstances?

There's still about a month and a half before school starts - is there any chance that you could still leave on good terms? Getting in off of a waitlist isn't anything you could have planned on, and I'm sure they would understand that. And this is your first-choice school after all.

This is assuming that the deferral isn't an option - as others have pointed out, it's somewhat risky to re-apply next year (though you've clearly got a good shot).

And congrats, by the way. :)

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 08:35:35 AM »
I think I saw your earlier post on this list where you had listed the schools you applied to.  I know I saw Harvard and I think Boalt on there and some other big names.  Harvard was at the top.  This has me wondering, since HLS would be most people's #1 choice off your list is that where you were accepted?

If so I think your employer would understand you resigning to attend.  They might even be pleased knowing they can get you for the summers and might have a Harvard grad they know and like on the payroll as an atty. in a few years.

Anyhow.. waitlisted at HLS and then accepted, I wouldn't pass it up.  Even if it was Boalt, or wherever as long as it it YOUR first choice.  You do have a good job now with people you like/respect but you have already made the commitment to change careers and become an attorney.  Seeing as you have the rest of your professional career ahead of you... I'd take that acceptance now and not hope it is still going to be there in a year.

Just my 2 cents.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 03:48:45 PM »
Hey y'all.  I found out today over the phone that I got my phatty deferral, so I am SET.

It's great to not have anything to worry about for a year but saving cash! 

As for my work: I helped start this firm and have literally poured my own blood sweat and tears into it for almost 7 years.  When I graduate and get some $$$ together, the owner may let me buy in as a partner.  Since the firm has grown from 1 person to 11 people and from 200 clients to 2,500 in 7 years, I needed to make sure that I was able to come back later if I wanted to.  Now I can have my cake and eat it too!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »
When you take a class in Business Organizations or something similar, they'll cover that stuff.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:13:02 AM »
Could have a lot to do with firm size, I'm guessing.