Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative action = bullsh*t  (Read 40539 times)

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Affirmative action = bullsh*t
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2005, 07:26:15 PM »
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  You chose that guy as an example of an outlier with all these accolades and accomplishments?  Dude got a full 4 year ride and 3 shoolwide leadership awards!  This convo is ridic and unless you say something intelligent I am done here
Student government (chair)
A cappella group (president)
Senior Leadership Society
Black Senior Honor Society
3 school-wide senior leadership awards
Full 4-year merit/need scholarship to undergrad
3 years work experience (2 in IB, 1 in higher education)
Co-Founder of Non-profit org (homelessness awareness)

I suppose it wasn't the greatest example, but there are plenty more on LSN if you follow my link in my previous post. Also, I'd bet a lot of money that a white candidate with the same application would have been denied. As has been said many times on this board and many others, all the soft factors in the world cannot make up for really low numbers. That is, unless you're a URM.

Also, I'm a little dissapointed about the "intelligent" comment. I thought we were having a nice civil debate even if we didn't agree with one another.

DMG

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2005, 07:30:53 PM »
There should really be no debate about it; if you are an URM you are a lock for HYS that would get a white guy laughed at. The real issue is about whether this practice is equitable, and an effective way of eliminating the higher rates of poverty certain minorities face. And I believe that after 20 or so years of AA, that that question has been answered with a resounding NO!
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2005, 07:33:28 PM »
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  You chose that guy as an example of an outlier with all these accolades and accomplishments?  Dude got a full 4 year ride and 3 shoolwide leadership awards!  This convo is ridic and unless you say something intelligent I am done here
Student government (chair)
A cappella group (president)
Senior Leadership Society
Black Senior Honor Society
3 school-wide senior leadership awards
Full 4-year merit/need scholarship to undergrad
3 years work experience (2 in IB, 1 in higher education)
Co-Founder of Non-profit org (homelessness awareness)

I suppose it wasn't the greatest example, but there are plenty more on LSN if you follow my link in my previous post. Also, I'd bet a lot of money that a white candidate with the same application would have been denied. As has been said many times on this board and many others, all the soft factors in the world cannot make up for really low numbers. That is, unless you're a URM.

Also, I'm a little dissapointed about the "intelligent" comment. I thought we were having a nice civil debate even if we didn't agree with one another.
We are having a civil debate and I appologize for the "intelligent" comment but this stuff can really piss me off. 

Neither of us is going to convince the other so lets let this topic die since this discussion is not productive.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2005, 07:38:05 PM »
There should really be no debate about it; if you are an URM you are a lock for HYS that would get a white guy laughed at. The real issue is about whether this practice is equitable, and an effective way of eliminating the higher rates of poverty certain minorities face. And I believe that after 20 or so years of AA, that that question has been answered with a resounding NO!
Get a load of this guy.  Steve112sms is cool but you ae an intollerable douchenozzle.  Good luck at Cooley, you'll need it.

HTH

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2005, 07:39:55 PM »
We are having a civil debate and I appologize for the "intelligent" comment but this stuff can really piss me off. 

Neither of us is going to convince the other so lets let this topic die since this discussion is not productive.

No problem. It is a heated topic, indeed.

How about this though. If such a system did exist wherein URM status alone boosted one's application very substantially, how would you feel about it? Does the end of producing diversity and counteracting other racist institutions justify the means of producing a non-traditional sort of racial discrimination?

DMG

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2005, 07:40:56 PM »
Why are you making a point of kissing steve112sms's a$$ after you just mocked his intelligence 5 minutes ago? Sounds like you just found out he lives in the same city as you, and frantically retracted your lame insult. And what the f*ck is "Cooley"?
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2005, 07:49:02 PM »

No problem. It is a heated topic, indeed.

How about this though. If such a system did exist wherein URM status alone boosted one's application very substantially, how would you feel about it? Does the end of producing diversity and counteracting other racist institutions justify the means of producing a non-traditional sort of racial discrimination?

Cool. 

Well, this would depend on how level the playing field was.  If it was as it is now, then I would feel it justified in the name of reparations. If minorities were proportionally represented in the legal field then I would not be infavor of AA.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »
Why are you making a point of kissing steve112sms's a$$ after you just mocked his intelligence 5 minutes ago? Sounds like you just found out he lives in the same city as you, and frantically retracted your lame insult. And what the f*ck is "Cooley"?
you are such a doucher that this will be the last time i respond to your trolling.  All I really want to say is that you are just mad because you are going to a rancid ttt in rapid decline. 

XOXO
HTH

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2005, 07:58:52 PM »
Fair enough, I suppose, but as I said earlier I think AA creates an undercurrent of resentment (as can be evidenced by many replies in this thread alone) which will ultimately aggravate the problem more than it will help it. I think to wait for the problem to naturally dissapate will be better in the end. I know you said in an earlier post that we've waited long enough and there's no guarantee it'll ever happen, but really the civil rights movement was only 50 years ago and I think we've continually made significany progress since then. Social movements take a long time. That's just the way I see it though. It's certainly quite arguable and unclear, so having made the point, we can just agree to disagree I suppose. No was swayed, but as I leave the computer for the time being I'm at least glad to see that we managed to sustain an AA debate without it turning into a complete insult-fest. The more people can learn to deal with people of differing views, the better off racial relations will be. Nice talking with you.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »
Fair enough, I suppose, but as I said earlier I think AA creates an undercurrent of resentment (as can be evidenced by many replies in this thread alone) which will ultimately aggravate the problem more than it will help it. I think to wait for the problem to naturally dissapate will be better in the end. I know you said in an earlier post that we've waited long enough and there's no guarantee it'll ever happen, but really the civil rights movement was only 50 years ago and I think we've continually made significany progress since then. Social movements take a long time. That's just the way I see it though. It's certainly quite arguable and unclear, so having made the point, we can just agree to disagree I suppose. No was swayed, but as I leave the computer for the time being I'm at least glad to see that we managed to sustain an AA debate without it turning into a complete insult-fest. The more people can learn to deal with people of differing views, the better off racial relations will be. Nice talking with you.

Remember that the resentment goes both ways and one side has bigger and more serious issues about which to be resentful. 

Nice talking to you too.