Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative action = bullsh*t  (Read 41152 times)

DMG

• View Profile
Re: Affirmative action = bullsh*t
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 05:09:04 PM »
You are a joke. First of all, you were the one who called me an idiot in the first place, and then proceeded to try and elevate yourself by busting out the latin. You are in no place to be lecturing on acting like an "adult", and "stooping so low".

Second, you said that affirmative action is "not judging an applicant on their race". That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. Could you please explain your rationale behind that totally idiotic statement???? ???
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 05:12:35 PM »
You are a joke. First of all, you were the one who called me an idiot in the first place, and then proceeded to try and elevate yourself by busting out the latin. You are in no place to be lecturing on acting like an "adult", and "stooping so low".

Second, you said that affirmative action is "not judging an applicant on their race". That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. Could you please explain your rationale behind that totally idiotic statement???? ???

You called me an idiot, buddy. And read my post above. If they were judging me based on my race, that's all I'd have to submit, my race.
Who's your Daddy now?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 05:13:39 PM »
Im sure some URM do actually have great stats, but no one gives them credit for it, because they are overshadowed by the VAST majority who do not have great stats, and instead get in based on their skin colour. And we have idiots like you to thank for this.

Who's your Daddy now?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 05:21:14 PM »

Affirmative action may not even exist at this point, so this is all a red herring argument.
Should someone pay for past wrongs that they had nothing to do with?

Neither blacks nor whites should pay for past wrongs but until AA minorities were still suffering.  Look at the current representation of whites and blacks or hispanics in the legal profession. "No single minority group in the United States accounts for more than 4% of the lawyers in the United States." (http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/minorities-in-legal-education.asp)  Minorities are more than underrepresented, they're barely there.  The scars of AMerica's past still affect minorities today.

You may say, "WHy not let the passing of time heal those scars and let things correct themselves naturally?"  Because it may never correct itself without help and WE HAVE WAITED TOO LONG!

I do not see you becoming enraged about legacy admits!
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 05:21:40 PM »
And if you're arguing, now what you're arguing about. Affirmative action is NOT judging an applicant based on their race. Is that how URM's apply to law school. They fill out a paper saying "I'm Black, let me it!" It's one part of a process.

That's why when YOU apply, you get to write a PS and submitt LOR's, so it's NOT going to be based solely on your numbers, but other things like socio-economic background, personal challenges (like mental retardation) etc.

It certainly IS judging the applicant on the basis of their race. Granted, it isn't judging only on the basis of race and other factors are taken into account, but nevertheless race is still an important factor used in such determinations. Why do you suppose URM's on the average have much lower numbers than others accepted at a school? Coincidence? Now, indeed, other personal challenges are also taken into account other than just race, but no other factor is such an automatic and huge bonus as that. Take for instance a hypothetical URM's situation and my own. Let's say the URM writes a PS about how they were forced to work to help support their family. That, coupled with a URM status will assuredly give them a huge bonus. Let's say they worked 25 hours a week. Throughout college I've worked 35 hours a week to support myself because my parents don't pay for me anymore. But I'm white and my parents aren't poor. I'm just independent. No one will care, really. I will have worked more hours, but I'll get little credit for that. The URM with fewer work hours will be rewarded for having a "difficult life", but really in terms of mere work, their load was less.

DMG

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 05:23:32 PM »

You called me an idiot, buddy. And read my post above. If they were judging me based on my race, that's all I'd have to submit, my race.

WTF??? You make an idiotic claim that "law schools do not judge minorities based on their race" and your defence for this remark is that if they were judging you on your race, then that's all you'd have to submit???

So by your logic, law schools do not judge people based on their LSAT either.I will invoke some of your idiotic logic to defend this (also) untrue claim: "if they were judging me on my LSAT, that's all I would have to submit, my LSAT." 

Can you not see how stupid you are??? I cannot believe someone this dumb would even consider a career in law.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »
And if you're arguing, now what you're arguing about. Affirmative action is NOT judging an applicant based on their race. Is that how URM's apply to law school. They fill out a paper saying "I'm Black, let me it!" It's one part of a process.

That's why when YOU apply, you get to write a PS and submitt LOR's, so it's NOT going to be based solely on your numbers, but other things like socio-economic background, personal challenges (like mental retardation) etc.

It certainly IS judging the applicant on the basis of their race. Granted, it isn't judging only on the basis of race and other factors are taken into account, but nevertheless race is still an important factor used in such determinations. Why do you suppose URM's on the average have much lower numbers than others accepted at a school? Coincidence? Now, indeed, other personal challenges are also taken into account other than just race, but no other factor is such an automatic and huge bonus as that. Take for instance a hypothetical URM's situation and my own. Let's say the URM writes a PS about how they were forced to work to help support their family. That, coupled with a URM status will assuredly give them a huge bonus. Let's say they worked 25 hours a week. Throughout college I've worked 35 hours a week to support myself because my parents don't pay for me anymore. But I'm white and my parents aren't poor. I'm just independent. No one will care, really. I will have worked more hours, but I'll get little credit for that. The URM with fewer work hours will be rewarded for having a "difficult life", but really in terms of mere work, their load was less.
Look at it this way, You have the security of knowing that your parents are able to help and if all else fails you have a safety net.  I doubt your parents are heartless to the plight of their son.  Plus, you would get a boost for having a good work ethic.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 05:33:07 PM »
Look at it this way, You have the security of knowing that your parents are able to help and if all else fails you have a safety net.  I doubt your parents are heartless to the plight of their son.  Plus, you would get a boost for having a good work ethic.

Well, that's all well and good, but do you really believe that a sense of security would account for a huge difference in GPA and LSAT scores? It seems to me that the amount of hours worked is more important as they specifically take time away from studying. Perhaps it's just because I've always had a sense of security, but I don't understand how lack of it would lead to significantly lower grades. It's possible I suppose, so I'll keep an open mind if you can attempt to explain it to me.

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 05:44:18 PM »

"Wah!!!
I'm an upper-middle class white male, who hasn't a clue about personal racism or discrimination, and because my Uncle's membership as a Harvard fellow wasn't enough to get me accepted, I'm going to piss and moan about RACISM...boo-hoo-hooo.."

Seriously...enough already. This thread, like the 2 million+ other A.A. threads, has managed to go absolutely nowhere.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 05:56:08 PM »
That's nice. Just dismiss any reasonable arguments against affirmative action so long as they are made by a white middle class male because for some reason we can't possibly understand anything. The simple fact of the matter is that you don't know what it is to be white anymore than I know what it is to be black. It doesn't matter who I am or who you are. It's entirely irrelevant. Dispute an anti-affirmative action post with a logical argument or leave it be. I don't need to justify my ability to weigh the positives and negatives of a system that we all have to live with merely because I'm white. You can be white and understand what racism is.

And if you have such a problem with this topic then why don't you take it up with the owner of this message board who decided to give the topic an entire forum. In the meanwhile this thread is on topic and justified as such.