Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative action = bullsh*t  (Read 42439 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmative action = bullsh*t
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2005, 03:21:31 PM »
Yeah but your exageration defeats your point because it is over the top.  Race doesnt count for anything by itself.  It is the experience that you relate to the adcom which gives one a boost in admissions.  Even then, it probably only equates to 2 lsat points or .1 gpa.  But can you put a value on diversity?
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

John Galt

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2005, 03:24:02 PM »
I wish people would stop citing exaggerated low scores when talking about students getting into top schools.
I am not aware of anyone getting into Yale with a 2.7/156.

Me neither.  It was exaggerated to illustrate a point.

Thats exactly why you don't know what you're talking about. The exaggeration has no place here because thats not how affirmative action at Yale or anywhere else works. How can I take your points seriously when you're exaggerating the impact of affirmative action at top schools?

I guarantee you that the majority of applicants black or otherwise below a 165 and below a 3.5 get rejected at the top 14.

gilda

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2005, 03:36:46 PM »
I wish people would stop citing exaggerated low scores when talking about students getting into top schools.
I am not aware of anyone getting into Yale with a 2.7/156.

Me neither.  It was exaggerated to illustrate a point.

Thats exactly why you don't know what you're talking about. The exaggeration has no place here because thats not how affirmative action at Yale or anywhere else works. How can I take your points seriously when you're exaggerating the impact of affirmative action at top schools?

I guarantee you that the majority of applicants black or otherwise below a 165 and below a 3.5 get rejected at the top 14.

Give me a break.  Does anyone know what exact numeric advantage AA gives a URM??  And you obviously can't be objective because, to use a southern phrase, "You have a dog in the fight."

gilda

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2005, 03:45:55 PM »
No, I think you and the rest of society is responsible for perpetuating the injustices that have existed throughout history in terms of fair lending practices, in terms of economic development in inner cities, in terms of urban planning and housing, in terms of school funding and education policy, and in terms of social hierarchy. Not to mention, you are benefitting from the persistant, and obvious, racist policies of the past even if only marginally. Thus, you are responsible whether you like it are not...just like all blacks are affected by past discrimination whether they like it or not.

This is an example of where you're coming from?  Hmm.  So, you don't believe in personal responsibility?  You don't believe in individuals being accountable?  And, worse than that, you wouldn't feel patronized if you were given a hand out or a leg up?  You would feel you deserved it?  That is was owed to you??  Disturbing. 

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2005, 03:59:43 PM »
Bottom line:  The white people of America have stomped and spat on the minorities of this and other countries since the inception of this country.  IT IS ABOUT TIME FOR SOME REPARATIONS!

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
Quote from: La Belle Dame Sans Merci
So, you don't believe in personal responsibility?  You don't believe in individuals being accountable?  And, worse than that, you wouldn't feel patronized if you were given a hand out or a leg up?  You would feel you deserved it?  That is was owed to you??  Disturbing. 

Can you honestly say no one ever gave you a leg up? Come on. A lack of racism is the reoccurring "leg up" that white people get. Do YOU deserve it?
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

uscitalian1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - njrayj
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
3Peat

"oh, the poor innocent white people.  never harmed anything ever.  always stuck to their moral values.  never enslaved, stole land, or committed genocide."

Obviously you are oblivious to what is happening in Africa today. 

1.  Africans enslave each other.  In fact, Africa is the number one continent in the world in terms of human slavery.

2.  Stole land?  Two words- Robert Mugabe. 

3.  Committed genocide? How about Darfur in Sudan, class warfare in Angola between the FNLA and UNITA, and Rwanda between the Hutus and Tutsis? 

If you don't know what you are talking about, STFU.

LegalLassie

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2005, 04:48:12 PM »

I wouldn't use Clarence Thomas as an advertisement for affirmative action.  If he is the product of it, I think he makes an effective case for its banning. 

I have been reading this thread, and when I read your comment, I spit out my soda.  Very funny.  And sadly true  :-\

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2005, 05:10:31 PM »

so you dont think that the sins of the past haunt the people of today? How do you explain the disproportionate ammount of poverty in the minority community?  How do you explain the woefull underrepresentation of minorities in the middle class/legal profession/homeownership/medical profession/et al.?

Serious wrongs were committed against blacks and hispanics BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE in the US and YOU WANT TO CALL IT EVEN.  Sorry, the score is still way off and AA only helps a little.  WHy does it only help a little?  Because the scars are so deep that it will take programs like AA AND time to heal.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2005, 05:12:09 PM »
3Peat

"oh, the poor innocent white people.  never harmed anything ever.  always stuck to their moral values.  never enslaved, stole land, or committed genocide."

Obviously you are oblivious to what is happening in Africa today. 

1.  Africans enslave each other.  In fact, Africa is the number one continent in the world in terms of human slavery.

2.  Stole land?  Two words- Robert Mugabe. 

3.  Committed genocide? How about Darfur in Sudan, class warfare in Angola between the FNLA and UNITA, and Rwanda between the Hutus and Tutsis? 

If you don't know what you are talking about, STFU.
You are making a great argument for there being AA in Africa too.  Good job!

XOXO
HTH