Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative action = bullsh*t  (Read 41764 times)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmative action = bullsh*t
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »
Well, education happens to be a state's issue. Maybe people should worry about their own state and where they are and need to be.

That's a whole other argument. The way the system works now, schools are funded by property tax. So, if you live in a better area, you pay more tax and enjoy better quality schools.

Interestingly enough, blacks tend to be extremely overrepresented in city public housing developments.

But like I said, that's a whole other argument.

Yeah, we all get in our cars and drive to the city to work, and spend the taxes on those wages on pretty schools for our kids in suburbia.  How fair is that?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

lsatlover

« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2005, 02:54:05 PM »
My husband is getting his masters in elementary ed.  When he graduates and becomes certified, where do you think he'd rather work?  In a school in urban Wilmington that should have been condemned 10 years ago or 20 miles down the road in Hockessen, with modern, beautiful facilities.  If you don't make the workplace attractive and comfortable, you will not attract quality teachers.

Hubby just said to me, "School should be a kid's happy place.  His escape from a bad environment.  It shouldn't add to his problems." 

I just saw a news clip that U. DE was just given a $1.2 million grant to research underage drinking.  I think that money could have been better spent on renovating some of the public schools in Wilmington.

Or even 1% of the $400 billion spent on defense.

Or NASA... don't get me started.  And as a military member, I agree that there is a LOT of wasteful spending.  But you should see the Department of Defense schools.  They are an excellent model for what schools should be.  In fact, in some poor areas of the country with bad public schools (like near Little Rock AFB), the gov't has erected DoDD schools.  My kids spent 5 years in DoDD schools in Europe and received what would (I believe) surpass a private school education.  If only the government would DEMAND the same standards for every public school in the U.S., we would see some big changes in the urban landscape.

It's well known that every dollar spent by government technological research returns 10 dollars to the economy.  This includes NASA and the military.  The problem with technology research and development is there will always be a lot of waste, since waste is inherent in basic research.  Corporations can't justify the waste, since their economic time frame is 6 months so the burden is put onto government agencies.  Remember, the innovations spun off by NASA .  medical imaging (MRI, CT, etc), pacemakers, teflon, increased agricultural yields, semiconductor crystal grwoth, fuel cell technology, *cough* the internet, and the list goes on.  Regarding the military, ever notice how war (via defense spending) is what got the US out of the great depression and and many recessions?

It's difficult to understand how one can be pro AA yet anti NASA/defense.  Affirmative action in NASA and defense is probably one of the most efficient ways for a low-income URM to propel themself into the middle class.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2005, 02:57:30 PM »
It's difficult to understand how one can be pro AA yet anti NASA/defense.  Affirmative action in NASA and defense is probably one of the most efficient ways for a low-income URM to propel themself into the middle class.

Actually, I'm not sure AA is the answer.  If all the students who benefit from AA go back to their communities and fight to make a difference for the children living there, then yes, it is worth it.  I personally believe that AA steps in a little late in the process.  We need to even the playing field in kindergarten by creating and maintaining facilities that encourage learning, that attract quality teachers, and promote parental involvement. 
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2005, 02:58:08 PM »
Don't forget the invention of the microwave! :D

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2005, 03:00:03 PM »

I don't think suggesting a small diversion of funds of enough to qualify as being "anti" anything.
Who's your Daddy now?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2005, 03:15:22 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure AA is the answer.  If all the students who benefit from AA go back to their communities and fight to make a difference for the children living there, then yes, it is worth it.  I personally believe that AA steps in a little late in the process.  We need to even the playing field in kindergarten by creating and maintaining facilities that encourage learning, that attract quality teachers, and promote parental involvement. 

AA is not the answer, but it is a vital step in the process. If we don't take the approriate steps to ensure that more URM's are afforded to the opportunity to gain access to the educational institutions and jobs which can allow them to have a powerful impact on the shaping of this country's policies, how can we truly affect change?

"According to the Senate's site <http://www.senate.gov> "More than
13,000 individuals who have served in the national legislature,
including the Continental Congress, the Senate, and the House of
Representatives". Of these people, a very meager amount - sometimes
less than a percent and always less than their share in the population
- are members of minority groups."
Who's your Daddy now?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2005, 03:56:03 PM »
Just wanted to add the the telling the kids what to major in ....
I get what you're saying MC, but I believe that people should pursue what they are good at, not what will make them the most money.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2005, 04:56:26 PM »
Yes!

John Galt

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2005, 07:05:57 PM »
No, I think you and the rest of society is responsible for perpetuating the injustices that have existed throughout history in terms of fair lending practices, in terms of economic development in inner cities, in terms of urban planning and housing, in terms of school funding and education policy, and in terms of social hierarchy. Not to mention, you are benefitting from the persistant, and obvious, racist policies of the past even if only marginally. Thus, you are responsible whether you like it are not...just like all blacks are affected by past discrimination whether they like it or not.

I cannot be responsible for something I had NOTHING to do with. I am not a lender, so I don't have any resposibility for what they do, does that make sense to you. It's the same as saying that since the people that bombed us on 9/11 were Arab that ALL Arabs are too blame, and that's just a STUPID idea.

No but all arabs have had to suffer increased scrutiny and security measures and somewhat a restriction of some of their civil liberties. Think these analogies through first.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2005, 09:10:41 AM »
iknew you would say that, and this makes sense, the white people are facing all kinds of b(l)acklash for things that they did NOT perpetrate, as I had said.