Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative action = bullsh*t  (Read 41193 times)

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Affirmative action = bullsh*t
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 04:12:48 PM »
aff action is bs, sorry i am speaking out of frustration i am sure. i am a liberal, but i am pretty upset that university of texas at austin allows those who have much lower lsat and lower gpa's to be allowed in due to skin color. you say no "unqualified" applicant will be let in, but how about less qualified? they are let in every day to various law schools across the country. and yes, i think that is racist.
"one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer"
now that is a study break
http://howied.ebloggy.com

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 04:13:17 PM »
So what? They had tough lives, I don't dispute or doubt that. MANY people had tough lives in the 50s and 60s. My grandfather was blinded in WW2 and had to live the last 50 or so years of his life in that state and just got by. Yet I am not demanding handouts for his hardship, and nor should I.

So what should we do? Dump your blinded grandfather back into society with no assistance, no training, no support and say "Fend for yourself!"?
Who's your Daddy now?

DMG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
So what? They had tough lives, I don't dispute or doubt that. MANY people had tough lives in the 50s and 60s. My grandfather was blinded in WW2 and had to live the last 50 or so years of his life in that state and just got by. Yet I am not demanding handouts for his hardship, and nor should I.

So what should we do? Dump your blinded grandfather back into society with no assistance, no training, no support and say "Fend for yourself!"?

No, I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to be analogous to though. You are claiming that people should be compensated for their ancestors' plight. But only if they have a certain skin colour. That is racist.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 04:16:16 PM »
aff action is bs, sorry i am speaking out of frustration i am sure. i am a liberal, but i am pretty upset that university of texas at austin allows those who have much lower lsat and lower gpa's to be allowed in due to skin color. you say no "unqualified" applicant will be let in, but how about less qualified? they are let in every day to various law schools across the country. and yes, i think that is racist.

So what? I'm sure they let less qualified whites in too. Percentiles are just that. There are people who score higher, and those who score lower. Every person whose scores are lower MUST have gotten in because of their color, right? Come on, you must see the limitations in that.

And by the way guys, some URM's actually DO have great stats.
Who's your Daddy now?

DMG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »
Im sure some URM do actually have great stats, but no one gives them credit for it, because they are overshadowed by the VAST majority who do not have great stats, and instead get in based on their skin colour. And we have idiots like you to thank for this.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 04:25:24 PM »

No, I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to be analogous to though. You are claiming that people should be compensated for their ancestors' plight. But only if they have a certain skin colour. That is racist.

It is because of their skin color that many URM's have been discriminate d against. Not be one or two people, but by an institution. A long legacy of discrimination that was endorsed by the government. And, unfortunately, even decades later minorities are still coping with the impact of that kind of discrimination.

But that doesn't matter anyway right?
Who's your Daddy now?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »
Im sure some URM do actually have great stats, but no one gives them credit for it, because they are overshadowed by the VAST majority who do not have great stats, and instead get in based on their skin colour. And we have idiots like you to thank for this.

GREAT majority? Where's your support for that claim?

Idiot?

What's your GPA genius?

Ad hominem is always a great defense when you have nothing useful to say. You've just invalidated your entire argument.

And I'm sorry if you don't know what ad hominem is. Don't mean to use big words.
Who's your Daddy now?

DMG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 04:38:41 PM »

Idiot?

What's your GPA genius?

Ad hominem is always a great defense when you have nothing useful to say. You've just invalidated your entire argument.

And I'm sorry if you don't know what ad hominem is. Don't mean to use big words.

Wow, you learned a new word. ::)

I don't think anyone disputes for a second that the average grades of URM admitted into Harvard, Yale and the like is MUCH, MUCH lower than the average of all their students. The fact that you are actually dumb enough to dispute this goes a long way in explaining your absurd claim that judging applicants based on their RACE is not racism.

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 04:56:27 PM »
It is because of their skin color that many URM's have been discriminate d against. Not be one or two people, but by an institution. A long legacy of discrimination that was endorsed by the government. And, unfortunately, even decades later minorities are still coping with the impact of that kind of discrimination.

But that doesn't matter anyway right?

Many minorities have had difficult lives and that is quite unfortunate, indeed. Discrimination against them still exists to some degree and that is unfortunate as well, but that alone does not justify affirmative action. If discrimination exists then it ought to be ferreted out and extinguished. Creating a new form of discrimination that seeks to counteract the former is our attempt at a "quick fix". Such solutions tend to fail as they are generally short-sighted. As a young middle-class white male who has frequented many similarly composed social circles, I've noted that affirmative action tends to foster resentment towards these minorities who are given the leg up merely for being of a different color skin. Now, personally I like to think that I'm of the ability to rise above this frustration and not harbor and ill-will toward minorities as a result, however, it has been my experience that the same cannot be said of many in my position. Most of the time it exists not in an outright hatred towards minorities, but rather in subtle questioning of the qualifications of a minority ascending the ranks. Thus, in my opinion affirmative action will do more bad than good. What is needed in my opinion is continued resistance to discrimination of all sorts so that we can truly begin to view minorities as no different than ourselves. Only when we view minorities as no different than the majority will true equality stand a chance. As it is, when a minority is hoisted above other mediocre candidates into prestige for no reason other than skin color, one cannot help but feel as though they truly are different from the rest of us.

I also think it fails on an individual level, but I don't feel like getting into that at a moment.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 05:02:07 PM »

Idiot?

What's your GPA genius?

Wow, you learned a new word. ::)

I don't think anyone disputes for a second that the average grades of URM admitted into Harvard, Yale and the like is MUCH, MUCH lower than the average of all their students. The fact that you are actually dumb enough to dispute this goes a long way in explaining your absurd claim that judging applicants based on their RACE is not racism.

Do you know how to communicate like an adult or do you always resort to calling people names? I have a right to my opinion as well. And I haven't resorted to calling you names, now have I? I can express my views without stooping so low. The least you can do is extend the same courtesy to others.

And if you're arguing, now what you're arguing about. Affirmative action is NOT judging an applicant based on their race. Is that how URM's apply to law school. They fill out a paper saying "I'm Black, let me it!" It's one part of a process.

That's why when YOU apply, you get to write a PS and submitt LOR's, so it's NOT going to be based solely on your numbers, but other things like socio-economic background, personal challenges (like mental retardation) etc.

Who's your Daddy now?