Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Far As A People Have We Come  (Read 2451 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: How Far As A People Have We Come
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 03:52:55 PM »
How Far As A People Have We Come  ???

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 04:01:24 PM »
the irony  :'(

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 04:14:56 PM »
You know victor I'm gay. That's right. You got me. I'm looking for a big strong black man like you to love. I want a real man...a man just like you. I think we should put our chest hair together and make jungle monkey love while we watch the football game and drink a few beers. What do you say? We have done it before so why should we stop? Do you want to be the girl or boy this time? :-* You know I get to call you victoria sometimes.  ;)

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 08:35:46 AM »
You know victor I'm gay. That's right. You got me. I'm looking for a big strong black man like you to love. I want a real man...a man just like you. I think we should put our chest hair together and make jungle monkey love while we watch the football game and drink a few beers. What do you say? We have done it before so why should we stop? Do you want to be the girl or boy this time? :-* You know I get to call you victoria sometimes.  ;)

HBCU:  DO you believe that homosexuality is a white issue?
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 11:43:14 AM »

No. I was in Atlanta for yrs and It's the black gay capitol of the world.

blkhtw

• One day at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 01:08:22 PM »
What??  :o  :o I thought Atlanta was the spot when it came to available black men.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 01:18:55 PM »
yeah...they are available but not for you! ::)

What??  :o  :o I thought Atlanta was the spot when it came to available black men.

blkhtw

• One day at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 01:37:57 PM »
 :( :( Oh well.

yeah...they are available but not for you! ::)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »
Great topic.

Ike, I like what you said about the anticipation of a new leader that will never come.  If I can quote from one of my favorite authors:

"Neither you nor I knows exactly when it happened. But we know what happened. Over the last 20 or so years, the tenor of African American culture has changed. [The generation before us] came up on the we-shall-overcome tradition of noble struggle, soul and gospel music, positive images, and the conventional wisdom that civil rights would translate into racial salvation. Today [our generation lives] in a time of goin`-for-mine materialism, secular beat consciousness, and a more diverse, fragmented, even postmodern black community. The change was subtle, yet inexorable."

- Nelson George
Notes on Post-Soul Black Culture

I think the concept of a "black leader" has changed, because quite frankly the struggle has changed and therefore any leadership within our community has to match that change.  It used to be "simple," very cut & dry.  People got lynched, churches got bombed, dogs attacked, jim crow laws were in place, etc.  It was very clear what the struggle was and what we had to do.

Today, its different.  The lynchings have morphed into drugs & violence in the community - its no longer necessary to use a rope to cut off your circulation to your brain.  The church bombs have morphed into the broken state of the Black church. And Jim Crow never left...its now a Federal Statute that is enforced by so-called "socioeconomic status" in all 50 states.

Too much emphasis is placed on (dare i say it) Affirmative Action, which in my opinion is at the END of the educational pipeline.  We need more people like Marva Collins to start at the BEGINNING of the pipeline where it all starts, elementary education.  There might be a greater increase in Black upperclass families in the 21st century, but that doesn't mean much when we, as a whole, are still lightyears behind the average mainstream american education.  How many 6th generation college educated Black families do you know?

We're getting there.  Its a long time coming, but its coming.  But lately it seems every time we make a good step forward, we take 2 back.  I've met a lot of progressive young black professionals since I've moved to the east coast that I wasn't meeting back in the midwest, so I know we exist.  But unfortunately, we are still the minority within our own community. I don't know how you instill drive in somebody who likes to smoke weed in they mama's house and play playstation all day long.

Nevertheless, there are still a lot of brothers and sisters out there who are trying to get to where we are at.  We have a duty to get the rest of that Fam to where we are at.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005, 06:15:27 PM »
Well, I am older than a lot of you here - I'm (choke) 35, so I was a child in the 1970s and was fortunate that we learned about the civil rights movement as little kids. The 1970s was very progressive that way.

However, I am concerned for a lot of young black people today. It really seems that there is no appreciation for what our ancestors have gone through so that we could have rights that many young people take for granted.
I'm frustrated because most of the young black people in my neighborhood just goof off all day. Many of them do not work, many do not vote. And I see many young black children just running around with no parents. I literally don't know who most of these children belong to. There is something wrong with that, IMO. These children have no positive role models.

It really seems that black people of my parents and grandparents' generation were more self-sufficient and postitive thinking people than many young black kids today.

I I have to agree with Muse that people need to stop spending and start saving. I think this is something that good parents teach their kids. My parents were horrible with money, and it wasn't until I as in my 30s that I have began to get a grasp of personal finance. I have never had much to work with, but I have now learned the importance of working with what I have.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php