Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Far As A People Have We Come  (Read 2347 times)

HBCU.EDU

Re: How Far As A People Have We Come
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:25 AM »
"Says someone who only gathers information from MTV and BET in lieu of opening up a Black Enterprise Magazine or reading a book like The Pact. Congratulations, you're a meathead, son."

Can you stop sucking my meathad Victor? You got spit all over it. Thank you and goodnight.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 10:04:53 AM »
Interesting article Ike. Personally I think there should be a mix of black Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. Why black people tend to be loyal to Democratic is beyond me. Granted the Democratic Party does have a more progressive agenda than Republicans, but what exactly have they done to help the black community lately? NOTHING…because they can’t. We have to help ourselves.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 10:28:46 AM »
I agree with you 100% here.. instead of waiting to get the lifestyle that we ultimately want... we want it now... this even occurs with black people that do have good credit though... as soon as we're done with our degrees and it's time to step into "adulthood" there's still a mentality of living beyond our means...

if you have a 700 plus credit score and an excellent income.. .in all probability you can qualify for a fairly expensive home... instead of getting exactly what you qualify for.. why not get something less expensive and begin a savings account..money market.. stocks/bonds or CD to begin building for long term goals an future family??

we are living in a sad state of affairs.. we're constantly trying to outdo our neighbors and that's exactly how we fall by the wayside...

instead of taking our education and devoting some of our time giving back to our communities we are caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones'...

the reason that so many kids are looking up to the  cats on the radio and on bet is because they don't have the opportunity to be around people like us...

The problem is that no one is willing to make sacrifices or live below their means for a while to achieve the end goal.They want to live their life and enjoy the moment. Well by all means go ahead and do you but don't complain when emergencies occur and your butt is out on the streets because of poor choices. So if I sound like an ultra conservative or a Republican at times its because I lack sensitivity to being economically ignorant.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

YoungIke

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 10:30:57 AM »
Very true but due to the still confederate mentality of many southern republicans, we tend to gravitate away from everything about the party, even the good things which are actually beneficial to America. I think that this apology is a step in the right direction, because the democrats have yet to acknowledge their opposition to the freeing of slaves. There are many things that are swept under the carpet but if you acknowledge it and that it was wrong we ca all move on.

Interesting article Ike. Personally I think there should be a mix of black Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. Why black people tend to be loyal to Democratic is beyond me. Granted the Democratic Party does have a more progressive agenda than Republicans, but what exactly have they done to help the black community lately? NOTHING…because they can’t. We have to help ourselves.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 10:32:10 AM »
Blq they can^t look up to black professionals because we are locked away in our gated communities with Bob and Becky.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »

I think Black people should be Dems...because ideally, everyone should be a Dem ;)

Why be a Dem when you can just be free? be you...without form...natural. Come on...take your shoes off Mob. YOu are better than that. Don't join a group...... :-\

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 11:24:56 AM »

nothing wrong with going home to a gated community.. however we need to remember that there is life outside of that...

Blq they can^t look up to black professionals because we are locked away in our gated communities with Bob and Becky.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

NightyKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 03:35:43 PM »
Thank you YoungIke, I have my serious moments.

Black people need to stop depending on some sort of figurehead to shape their lives. Do you honestly think that white folks are 100% dependant on Bush or the other various political parties for the type of lifestyle they want? Yes they contribute monetary to push certain agendas, but in the meantime they are making their own plans just in case the leaders don't come through (which is often the case). Why do you think black people panic when a new leader comes in office? The reason is because they are putting their livelihood in an individual and a system that doesn’t give a damn at the end of the day. Politicians whether it is Barrack Obama (D-Illinois) or John Cornyn (R-Texas) will cater to their lobbyist and financial backers before dealing with YOUR NEEDS. Black people get with the program. It’s great to have blacks in positions of influence (I dare not to say power, because it is just a relative term with so many constraints) but don’t start jumping up and down like a #%@! thinking that Obama is going to get you out of the ghetto if you are a lazy stupid bastard to begin with. (The truth hurts but deal with it).

True freedom and independence comes through economic means. We live in a capitalistic society, which is becoming a global phenomenon. Jump on board or get left behind. Those are the only two options. I plan on being on the first class section of the cruise ship when it’s time to take off. Soon race will not be the issue, but your class will (then again it might still be a race issue because left face it blacks inherit debt not assets). Lets be real, black people need to stop BUYING SH*T! Invest your money. Being poor is not even an excuse. If you can come up with 100 dollars to buy that outfit then open a savings or CD account. I see too many people driving luxury cars and wearing designer cloths but in debt, on welfare, living with mom or renting an apartment. Believe it or not all you need to build wealth is GOOD CREDIT (which is something a lot of black people don't have). Unfortunately some people are in situations where their credit is awful due to their parents’ mistakes, but now that you are aware of that problem, start making strides to improve your situation.  But in most situations…the kids mess up their own credit by getting caught up in buying “stuff” aka garbage and bling bling.

The problem is that no one is willing to make sacrifices or live below their means for a while to achieve the end goal.They want to live their life and enjoy the moment. Well by all means go ahead and do you but don't complain when emergencies occur and your butt is out on the streets because of poor choices. So if I sound like an ultra conservative or a Republican at times its because I lack sensitivity to being economically ignorant.

Hello Muse (still hard for me not to use "Ms." on these boards!)

That was, frankly, one of the best posts I've ever read on these boards.  Absolutely fantastic.

To piggy back on your post a bit, I think a large percentage of the problem we face in the black community are the direct result of black men not accepting responsibilities as husbands or at least as fathers. 

I've read on more than occassion that people can, essentially, 'marry' themselves out of poverty.  I don't know if that's true or not, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the main reason why I was able to 1.) Stay out of real trouble (avoid crime and gangs), 2.) Do well in school (b/c I was able to go to a decent/safe high school and college), 3.) Appreciate the value of hard work, and 4.) Respect and recognize a sister for both her inner and outer beauty,  was b/c my father married my momma and held my a$$ to the fire each and every day. 

I'm not in any way minimizing the impact of my momma.  I'm just saying that it was that slight 'fear' I had of my father that helped me develop as a man.  Of course my momma gave me the business when she had to, but I always knew my father, who served five years in prison, could really throw my butt around the house if he wanted to.  How can you not respect a man, ANY man, who accepts responsibilities for his kids, goes to work every day, gives every spare penny he had to set up savings accounts for us, made sure we treated each other and our mother with respect, kept us in school and made sure we did our homework, and kept gangbangers off our block?

Having him around and working hard and saving his money is what got three lower tier kids out of a crap neighborhood and into good colleges.  No friggin' Uncle Sammy did that.  My example was never the Al Sharpton of the world - it was having strong black family.  I wish THOSE were the lessons (intact families, save your money)taught in black schools, in the neighborhoods, and in churches. 

I guess that's why I'll never be a pure play Progressive either.  You've got to be able to recognize the advantages to some Conservative arenas and effectively use those as well!  Whites & Hispanics certainly don't vote as one large, homogenous block.  Why in God's name do Blacks feel the need to do so?

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »

Can you stop sucking my meathad Victor? You got spit all over it. Thank you and goodnight.

What happened to "wear a smile on your heart" faggot?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »

What happened to "wear a smile on your heart" faggot?

It was "keep a smile in your heart" now get off my male private part you fudge packer.