Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT discrepancies  (Read 16374 times)

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT discrepancies
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 09:53:54 AM »
Wow...this is simply an overall pathetic thread.  It just goes to show there are some damn ignorant people out there and it is true of both sides of a divisive issue.

SCgrad

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
Wow...this is simply an overall pathetic thread.  It just goes to show there are some damn ignorant people out there and it is true of both sides of a divisive issue.

don't forget about all the people who are here to sit on their high horses and point this out without letting the minions know the errors of their way.

::)

tmiller1108

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 01:32:29 AM »
When your scores are in the range that they are, just making a mistake on 3 to 5 questions can make your score deplete by 10 points.  Your score is great and you should not have any problem getting into any Law Schools expect, maybe, the top 5.

Vince

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 03:34:48 AM »

1.  How recent were the preptests?  Make sure you practice with recent exams.

2.  Definitely practice with 5 sections for endurance purposes.

3.  If it was just nerves, you'll improve with a retake -- the first time is always scarier.

Hey i posted this topic in the wrong thread. I really need advice.. thanks for any ideas or help!
xx

Hey, i've heard of other cases similar to my own and am wondering if anyone has any advice/explanation about this phenomenon.

I took about 8 practice tests, used real LSATs from past administrations, didn't cheat, and was scoring about the same consistently. My real LSAT score was 10 points lower.

I can't think of any explanation except nerves. Anyone have any ideas?

rickster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 12:51:10 PM »
Rude...
i wasn't asking at all being rude, but those numbers are almost identical to mine and i have really written off any top 50 schools, as i am a white male, but if she is a white female, maybe i should reconsider and try a few long shots.

There is more to an app than LSAT/GPA/race.

Also, take some shots, there is only one surefire way to not get in...
sure there is, but affirmative action, being the joke it is, lets very unqualified people into schools based on race. not socioeconomic factors, but race and race alone. being a white male i dont have that going for me, hence the reason i asked about race.

You also have to admit that Law Schools don't want assholes in their classes. With a perspective like that, I'd admit a retarded monkey with a 123 over you.

I've never met a retarded monkey who wasn't an a-hole.  Come on, man.
Washington and Lee '10

LSN

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 07:01:28 PM »
Your leader: you, white people who would complain about affirmative action.  Racists, republicans.

"Our": we the people, all of us, Americans.  I meant Bush's role as leader of the right-wing; I'm not sure anyone could say he's leading the country.

If you've looked at any law school applications, you'll see that the schools try very hard to find out what adversity you've overcome.  They are not interested in your race, but rather in your background and your travails.  At the same time, the racial make-up of their student body is public, so race is an issue as well.

AA drives deeper wedges between racist white people and URMs.  It certainly doesn't drive a wedge between me and other races.  As I said, I would give your spot at school to a URM any day of the week.

If you go by the applications, AA _is_ based on socioeconomic factors.  Who knows how representative the apps are of their actual acceptance policies, but ostensibly at least that is the case.

I said nothing about where you go to school.  If you read my post carefully (a skill you'll need for the LSAT), you will see that.

If you can't see how Katrina is related to this discussion, I unfortunately don't have time to explain it.

So, on a personal note, it's really easy for me to get sucked into conversations with people who are not interested or not capable of having an actual reasoned debate.  I am trying very hard to break myself of that habit.  In this message you bizarrely attacked the quality of my writing (apparently if you disagree with it it means the writing is bad), and you resort repeatedly to ad hominem attacks (something else you'll have to learn not to do if you expect to do well on the LSAT).

Every day in every way I'm getting better and better, and thus I will not respond to you again.  I'll wait till someone interested in a real discussion comes along.

No offense, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
You just choked as do a lot of people
You got into UofA with those numbers? Do you mind me asking what race you are?

This is a perfectly legitimate question, given that the questioner had similar numbers, and OP apparently got into a reach school.

It may have been asked in a more polite way, such as, "are you urm", or "was there anything unusual about your app?".

But I don't think it was meant to be racist, simply informative.  And the truth is that ethnicity is probably the largest non-numerical factor in admissions out there, whether or not it should be.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 07:07:27 PM »
Ummmm...I'm not sure you can just look at her numbers and assume that she must've been of a non-white race to get in...what about her personal statement, her resume, her activities...

Using your line of reasoning then I guess I can ask: who is she sleeping with? (if she's not black or hispanic or...the rest)

Just to note, TMS didn't assume, he asked.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »
Rude...
i wasn't asking at all being rude, but those numbers are almost identical to mine and i have really written off any top 50 schools, as i am a white male, but if she is a white female, maybe i should reconsider and try a few long shots.

sure there is, but affirmative action, being the joke it is, lets very unqualified people into schools based on race. not socioeconomic factors, but race and race alone. being a white male i dont have that going for me, hence the reason i asked about race.

You also have to admit that Law Schools don't want assholes in their classes. With a perspective like that, I'd admit a retarded monkey with a 123 over you.

What exactly is wrong with his perspective?

do you disagree with his assessment?

Obviously, not all minorities are unqualified, and not all minorities who benefit from AA are actually unqualified.  But it's certainly possible that some are. 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 07:09:24 PM »
Rude...

saying someone is an a-hole because they dont agree with affirmative action is a pretty ignorant statement.

Also, saying somebody who got in is 'unqualified' is pretty stupid.  If she got in, she's qualified. 

That's a crazy definition of qualified.  That's like saying you're qualified if you get in because you're wealthy, or sleeping with the dean.