Law School Discussion

Poll

How do you wear your hair: Natural or straight?

Natural and I love it
Straight and I love it
Natural but I wish it was straight
Straight but I wish it was natural
Who says I can't do both?

The Hair Thread

iman

• View Profile
Re: The Hair Thread
« Reply #550 on: June 07, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »
actually its sad. i was thinking about getting a relaxer. but every morning watching my roommate flat iron or do something to her hair makes me thank God I'm natural. it usually takes her an extra 45 minutes to get ready. i just do some re-twisting, spritz on some oil and roll out.  :P

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 07, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
actually its sad. i was thinking about getting a relaxer. but every morning watching my roommate flat iron or do something to her hair makes me thank God I'm natural. it usually takes her an extra 45 minutes to get ready. i just do some re-twisting, spritz on some oil and roll out.  :P

:o

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 07, 2007, 08:56:44 AM »
45 mins?  See it doesn't take me that long ever.    

« Reply #553 on: June 07, 2007, 08:59:20 AM »
what made you consider relaxing again (assuming it was ever permmed)

i hated doing my own hair and it took SOOOOOO long...

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 07, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »

me either.  but i roll my hair at night.  i'm thinking i'll go natural at some point in the future, but i know that ease of care won't be one of the reasons why.  my hair has a mind of its own!

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 07, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
My hair is relaxed but I wear it naturally . . . is that something most people don't do?

But how often do you relax it and how much is it relaxed?  I know many people who get a texturiser (basically a light perm) and where their hair 'naturally'.  But imo, that isn't the same as being completely natural.  Not better or worse, just different.

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 07, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »
i think i just liked all of the cute bobs that are out and was wishing that i could get one. i.e.Rihanna. but its too much work. and the fact that relaxer turns your scalp green is also a big deterrent. lol!

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 07, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »
i think i just liked all of the cute bobs that are out and was wishing that i could get one. i.e.Rihanna. but its too much work. and the fact that relaxer turns your scalp green is also a big deterrent. lol!

Is there any actual proof of that other than random internet lore?

<--skeptic

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 07, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »

Is there any actual proof of that other than random internet lore?

<--skeptic

aounds like cognitive dissonance to me... ;)

But I honestly want to know.  The only time I'm ever seen it mentioned is on natural hair sites (cognitive dissonance? ;)).  There's a whole lot of nonsense circulating the internet (see pepsi discussion!) and lots of people use scare tactics.  I like making informed choices (such as the bc discussion a few weeks ago).

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 07, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »
It takes me about an hour to blow dry and flat iron.  The more times you do it, the faster you should get.  It used to take me 2 or 2.5 hours.

When I curl my hair all over it takes 20-25 min.  45 minutes?  No.  Only to flat iron after my hair has already air dried. If I just curl the ends or flip them, this normally takes about 5-7 minutes. That's it.

Whether natural or straight, it generally takes me about the same amount of time to do my hair.  If anything, it takes me a little longer when its natural because of the thickness.  It can take me 15-20 miutes just to get a decent ponytail with my natural hair.  If its flatironed? 1 min. :)

At the end of the day I don't think the issue is time as much as it is preference.  You can make straight and/or natural hair work within your time constraints.