Law School Discussion

Poll

How do you wear your hair: Natural or straight?

Natural and I love it
Straight and I love it
Natural but I wish it was straight
Straight but I wish it was natural
Who says I can't do both?

The Hair Thread

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Hair Thread
« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »
Does anyone use natural and/or organic shampoos?  I want to try Anita Grant's shampoo bar, but it's backordered until the end of next month and I want something in the interim.  I'm trying to use as many natural products as possible.

I don't know what you mean by natural, but I use a knockoff of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. It is amazing. I sometimes also use Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint, and it also amazing. Two best shampoos I've ever used.

Qhemet Biologics is supposed to be great, but I've never used it.

I just ordered some of their products!  I'll let you know how they are.  Unfortunately, I didn't order the shampoo.  Stupid me.

By natural I mean not chemically based, or generally healthy (ie none of the harsh ingredients, petroleum, etc). Do you find soap based shampoos to be harsh or drying?

Definitely! I like castile soaps, but detergent-based soaps (basically shampoos with sulfates) are absolutely terrible on my hair. I noticed a big change by switching away from cheap shampoos.

So castile soaps are diff from regular soaps?  I was under the impression that all bar soaps are bad.

« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
Does anyone use natural and/or organic shampoos?  I want to try Anita Grant's shampoo bar, but it's backordered until the end of next month and I want something in the interim.  I'm trying to use as many natural products as possible.

I don't know what you mean by natural, but I use a knockoff of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. It is amazing. I sometimes also use Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint, and it also amazing. Two best shampoos I've ever used.

Qhemet Biologics is supposed to be great, but I've never used it.

I just ordered some of their products!  I'll let you know how they are.  Unfortunately, I didn't order the shampoo.  Stupid me.

By natural I mean not chemically based, or generally healthy (ie none of the harsh ingredients, petroleum, etc). Do you find soap based shampoos to be harsh or drying?

Definitely! I like castile soaps, but detergent-based soaps (basically shampoos with sulfates) are absolutely terrible on my hair. I noticed a big change by switching away from cheap shampoos.

So castile soaps are diff from regular soaps?  I was under the impression that all bar soaps are bad.

I don't use the bar, I use the liquid versions. But castile soaps are a lot less drying for me. The detergent soaps are what dry my hair out. But I'm sure it's different for different people - I mean, some people swear by using just conditioner to wash.

nar8402

« Reply #462 on: December 29, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
Hey Everyone,  Ok so my goal is to one day loc my hair up, but getting off the relaxer is so hard.  I stopped perming my hair for about six months but then when summer came it was just to much for me.  What's a girl to do?  I wanna have the fro one day but how should I go about this?  So how do you step down from the perm?   ???

Register to join the discussion forum at http://www.nappturality.com  You will find everything you need...from tips and advice to other people's photo journals documenting their transition from perms to natural styles.  Another good source of information is to stop people you see around with beautiful natural hair and ask them for salon recommendations or about their transition.  Most people will gladly share what they know.  HTH

Thanks Everyone, Im going to do a little research first and then I will see what I will do.  I have already done the let it grow out and cut the permed hair off thing.  But yeah I am going to have to do something because I am tired of my hair.

« Reply #463 on: December 30, 2006, 04:51:50 PM »
Blk -- I did the braid thing.  I took it out after a few hours b/c I was excited to see the result, but it still turned out really nice.  I'm going out on Tuesday, so I'm going to redo my hair on Monday and keep it in overnight for more defined results.  Thanks again :)

« Reply #464 on: December 30, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
I don't know who you are and you don't now who I am, so it would be in your best interest to keep my "name" out of your posts.  If you have beef with folks on here then that's between you and them.  I try to stay clear of this cyber drama not involving me, so I don't appreciate you trying to drag me into it.  Enough said. >:( >:( >:(

hypocrite, how do you like it?

« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2006, 05:25:28 PM »
I don't know who you are and you don't now who I am, so it would be in your best interest to keep my "name" out of your posts.  If you have beef with folks on here then that's between you and them.  I try to stay clear of this cyber drama not involving me, so I don't appreciate you trying to drag me into it.  Enough said. >:( >:( >:(

hypocrite, how do you like it?

WTF?! Why is this posted in every fuccing thread?!?! Grow up, man!   Your incessant need to hate - and obstruct decent conversations in the process - makes my eyes itch!! I swear you need to change your next name to "atlh8tr," cause that seems more in line with your purpose for existing on this board.

« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
you're very welcome.. I'm glad I could help.. and I'm glad that it turned out nicely for you..

Ms. Troy I don't know how long your hair is but you may be able to do this as well to get that spikey look that you want.. just don't band the locs together at the ends 

Blk -- I did the braid thing.  I took it out after a few hours b/c I was excited to see the result, but it still turned out really nice.  I'm going out on Tuesday, so I'm going to redo my hair on Monday and keep it in overnight for more defined results.  Thanks again :)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 02, 2007, 09:16:03 AM »
So who in here perms? aka livin foul?  :D jk

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #468 on: January 02, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »
How is having permed/relaxed hair living foul?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 02, 2007, 10:59:57 AM »
How come jk?