Law School Discussion

Poll

How do you wear your hair: Natural or straight?

Natural and I love it
Straight and I love it
Natural but I wish it was straight
Straight but I wish it was natural
Who says I can't do both?

The Hair Thread

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Hair Thread
« Reply #450 on: December 29, 2006, 08:49:27 AM »
Black hair media is another great discussion forum, as they have all sorts of sections (natural, permed, transitioning, etc).

« Reply #451 on: December 29, 2006, 08:58:09 AM »
Hey Everyone,  Ok so my goal is to one day loc my hair up, but getting off the relaxer is so hard.  I stopped perming my hair for about six months but then when summer came it was just to much for me.  What's a girl to do?  I wanna have the fro one day but how should I go about this?  So how do you step down from the perm?   ???

Eventually - you're gonna have to cut off the relaxed parts of your hair (unless you want it to start breaking off).

When I first went natural my junior year in UG (about 6 years ago), I cut all of the relaxer off and had about a inch of hair at first. I usually just washed my hair, put some gel in it and went on about my business. It was easy for me to cut my hair because I was into something that required me to have short hair. After that activity was over though, I kept my hair braided for a few months until it was long enough to two strand twist.

Like Mrs. Troy and Nat. said, nappturality is a good site. I also go to naani.com for tips and style ideas.  Also, there are groups on myspace and facebook for people with natural hair, so search those places too because people might be willing to share their stories :)

------

Blk --  

I wanna do a curly look. I've done a small rod set before, but it turned out more wavy than curly (that might be because I didn't use setting lotion or anything). I'm thinking about buying some setting product by Oyin and soft spike curlers - have you ever used them or heard anything good about them?

EDIT: I think I asked Sondra/Anne about the curlers a while back, but I'm still trying to feel out how it might look on larger locs.

« Reply #452 on: December 29, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »
hey Inq..

I have never used any Oyin products so I can't give you an opinion on them.. .I've used Carol's Daughter a couple of times and to be honest I really don't like it at all..too much hype

you don't have to use a setting lotion in order to make your hair curly.. what you need to do is buy some large hard rollers- not soft because they won't give you the effect that you want.... take about three of your locs and roll them up into each roller.. tie your hair up over night and get up unroll them the next morning.. or if you don't have to leave the next day leave them in for 24 hours..

if you want the wavy/crinkly look..  you can do one of two things.. cornrow your locs (i really don't do that because it hurts like hell when they're tight) or braid/plait them up three- four at a time and tie the ends with small rubber bands.. u can actually rock the plait style for a few days and pull your locs in an updo or pony tail if you'd like for a different look.. then two- three days later unplait them and the crinkle look will last for a couple of weeks..

« Reply #453 on: December 29, 2006, 10:10:11 AM »
if you want the wavy/crinkly look..  you can do one of two things.. cornrow your locs (i really don't do that because it hurts like hell when they're tight) or braid/plait them up three- four at a time and tie the ends with small rubber bands.. u can actually rock the plait style for a few days and pull your locs in an updo or pony tail if you'd like for a different look.. then two- three days later unplait them and the crinkle look will last for a couple of weeks..

That sounds tooo cute! Thanks!

Tonight is my hair night, so I'm gonna try that this weekend :)

Thanks for telling me about the setting lotion. The Oyin stuff looked like it would leave visible residue on my hair, but since I don't need it, I won't worry about it  :D I'm not good about sleeping on rollers though (I only left the rods in for about three hours during the day when I tried it before), so it looks like I may have to go to the shop for the curls :(

« Reply #454 on: December 29, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »
Black hair media is another great discussion forum, as they have all sorts of sections (natural, permed, transitioning, etc).

I finally went to that site yesterday (can you tell I'm procrastinating? :D) Their section on locs was weak. I'd prolly go there for stuff about relaxed hair or for info about heat styling (since nappturality shuns that as well), but for anything natural I'd head to nappturality or naani.

I made the mistake of putting honey on my hair yesterday. It worked well the first time but I put a little too much in and now my hair is sooo crunchy. I'll wash it today.

My mom was messing around with my hair last night and was like, "Your hair smells so good!" I guess she was surprised. :D My family's more white-like because they tend not to broadcast if they have something bad to say about you (e.g., weight, hair, clothes), but she showed herself with that comment! ((shaking my head))

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 29, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »

I finally went to that site yesterday (can you tell I'm procrastinating? :D) Their section on locs was weak. I'd prolly go there for stuff about relaxed hair or for info about heat styling (since nappturality shuns that as well), but for anything natural I'd head to nappturality or naani.

I made the mistake of putting honey on my hair yesterday. It worked well the first time but I put a little too much in and now my hair is sooo crunchy. I'll wash it today.

My mom was messing around with my hair last night and was like, "Your hair smells so good!" I guess she was surprised. :D My family's more white-like because they tend not to broadcast if they have something bad to say about you (e.g., weight, hair, clothes), but she showed herself with that comment! ((shaking my head))

I have my olive oil, honey, lemon juice (amounts in that order) mix in now because I'm getting my hair done right after work.  I mixed them and heated them this morning, massaged it into my hair and scalp then pulled my hair back.  I swear the honey is better than any gel I've used; it doesn't move  :D.  They'll wash it out this afternoon and it'll be extra soft.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 29, 2006, 10:34:18 AM »
Does anyone use natural and/or organic shampoos?  I want to try Anita Grant's shampoo bar, but it's backordered until the end of next month and I want something in the interim.  I'm trying to use as many natural products as possible.

« Reply #457 on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »
Does anyone use natural and/or organic shampoos?  I want to try Anita Grant's shampoo bar, but it's backordered until the end of next month and I want something in the interim.  I'm trying to use as many natural products as possible.

I don't know what you mean by natural, but I use a knockoff of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. It is amazing. I sometimes also use Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint, and it also amazing. Two best shampoos I've ever used.

Qhemet Biologics is supposed to be great, but I've never used it.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2006, 10:50:26 AM »

I don't know what you mean by natural, but I use a knockoff of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. It is amazing. I sometimes also use Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint, and it also amazing. Two best shampoos I've ever used.

I just ordered some of their products!  I'll let you know how they are.  Unfortunately, I didn't order the shampoo.  Stupid me.

By natural I mean not chemically based, or generally healthy (ie none of the harsh ingredients, petroleum, etc). Do you find soap based shampoos to be harsh or drying?

« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2006, 11:41:56 AM »

I just ordered some of their products!  I'll let you know how they are.  Unfortunately, I didn't order the shampoo.  Stupid me.

By natural I mean not chemically based, or generally healthy (ie none of the harsh ingredients, petroleum, etc). Do you find soap based shampoos to be harsh or drying?

Definitely! I like castile soaps, but detergent-based soaps (basically shampoos with sulfates) are absolutely terrible on my hair. I noticed a big change by switching away from cheap shampoos.