Law School Discussion

Poll

How do you wear your hair: Natural or straight?

Natural and I love it
Straight and I love it
Natural but I wish it was straight
Straight but I wish it was natural
Who says I can't do both?

The Hair Thread

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: The Hair Thread
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 06:15:50 AM »
Thanks elegant! :)

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 07:01:34 AM »
back in the perm days.. I used to hate feeling that I needed a touch-up every now and then... one of the best hair salons in the city happened to be around the corner from my high school (and down the street from my house) so needless to say a lot of people were walking around with the same hair styles :-\

though I do believe that men can be judgmental about women's hair.. I think that women are more harsh towards other women who's hair styles aren't similar..whether it's natural or relaxed..

I've had some natural sistas treat women with perms as if they sold out...knowing that not even two yrs prior they had perms...it's something I call hair amnesia :D

some relaxed sistas can't fathom why a woman will get natural hair... when the hair can flow str8...

i admit that i do have a vice though....if your hair is the length of a small afro.. whether str8 or natural... STOP trying to put your hair into a pony tail :-[

--

here's a question.. why are women with natural hair unstr8ened labeled as feminists or lesbians?? i don't get that....

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 07:18:36 AM »
lol at that small afro comment, blk. its true, though.  it just looks unkempt and silly.

I try not to judge other people's hairstyles.  As long as they are well maintained, whether natural or straight, its cool.

I do think men have their hair preferences. Most men that I have encountered like long hair, I think elegant's comment was on point.

Women with unstraightened hair are labeled feminists or lesbians I think just as a general stereotype. Somehow people claim that straight hair is the "norm." If you aren't abiding by this norm and spending lots of time making your hair do something that it might or might not do, then you are somehow less of a woman, because you should be doing this in order to fit in with most of the other heterosexual women.  I think its just another stereotype that doesn't make sense.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 07:31:00 AM »
men have preferences... they don't want to be with a woman that goes to the same barber that they go to.. :D

lex19

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 07:44:38 AM »
hmmmmmmmmm, i dunno about this thread....

A doobie where i'm from is the same thing as a wrap, and a roller wrap is known as a roller set, these are NY/northeast terms....

i decided to go natural half way through undergrad b/c i was tired of commiting myself to somebody else's "norm" and why fight my hair and what God gave me??? not to mention the fact that the same chemicals found in a perm can be found in the solutions under one's kitchen sink.....although it was hard for me to transition and cut off my hair (it was down to my bra strap) i'm glad i did it, b/c i'll never have to worry about breakage, over processing, being late for a touch up, or anything thing that comes with a perm......and if i do feel like "swinging it like a white girl" i can get a blow out...

faith2005

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 07:51:41 AM »
hair is such a black woman's obsession. i have close friends who are not black and they're always amazed at how much black women can talk about hair. i grew up with natural hair. my parents didn't want my hair to be colonized :) when i got to college i got a permanent because all throughout school all of the girls i knew had perms. i decided to get one to be like what i thought all of the other girls would be like. boy was i surprised, the northeast and the midwest couldn't have been more different in that regard. nearly all of my friends had natural hair, and even the ones with perms had braids while we were in school. i cut my hair down to a short boy cut and let it grow back natural. i hated having a perm anyway, i didn't know what to do with it and i didn't like spending money on going to the hairdresser just so it would look presentable.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 07:52:51 AM »
smu- In 18 days I'll be on my way to Baton Rouge. Getting the freak out of sacramento! 

I donít' know if someone answered my question but I'll ask again. I never hear black men with long natural hair b*tch and complain about how hard it is to take care of their hair. Why is that? They just do it and normally it looks nice and well kept.  Why do sistas go through this sh*t like "ohhh...it hurts so baddd...ooooh it's soo hard to manage so I got a perm?"     

YoungIke

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 07:55:15 AM »
smu- In 18 days I'll be on my way to Baton Rouge. Getting the freak out of sacramento!

I donít' know if someone answered my question but I'll ask again. I never hear black men with long natural hair b*tch and complain about how hard it is to take care of their hair. Why is that? They just do it and normally it looks nice and well kept. Why do sistas with perms go through this sh*t like "ohhh...it hurts so baddd...ooooh it's soo hard to manage so I got a perm?"

WoW, you gave me a new sense of inner strength with this post. I was stearing clear of this thread! Keep hope alive! Long live the masculinist movement!

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 07:57:46 AM »
men have preferences... they don't want to be with a woman that goes to the same barber that they go to.. :D

lol..that's funny. But, I would not mind at all. It's cool. 

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
Hi. My mom bought me some molding creme by Isoplus. It works for me. That is all.