Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern University Law Student - Both Pre-1Ls and current students?  (Read 1838 times)

sarbinson

I'm living in Streeterville, but the GI Bill will be subsidizing my monthly costs.

Where is there to get food other than the White hen on Ohio?

Isn't there a Jewel a few blocks from that White Hen? 

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
There is a fox and obel on the corner of McClurg and Illinois, if I remember correctly.  We walked through it one day and loved it!  But, it's one of those ultra gourmet-foodie type places, so it is fairly expensive.  But, it would be a convenient place to go if you just need a few things.

sarbinson

Has anyone gotten anything from NU recently?  The mailbox in my building doesn't lock and there have been problems with mail theft (tampering with the mail is a felony OFFense, boy).  I was expecting to get a tuition bill by now, or a second deposit request... something.  Hope they aren't giving my seat away. 

Everyman

I actually just spoke to Johann Lee who informed me that he just gave up the seat formerly occupied by a "sarbinson" to Woody Harrelson's 16 year old son.  I guess it's some sort of move to be like a poor man's Yale.

(Don't sweat it, there was only one deposit and I didn't receive a tuition bill, either... or am I out of a seat, too?  As long as you have already received the orientation schedule/health service/insurance stuff you should be fine)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Has anyone gotten anything from NU recently?  The mailbox in my building doesn't lock and there have been problems with mail theft (tampering with the mail is a felony OFFense, boy).  I was expecting to get a tuition bill by now, or a second deposit request... something.  Hope they aren't giving my seat away. 

THere is no second deposit.  I think the tuition bill is automatically paid by your student loans, and I just got an email yesterday saying they were mailing the promissory notes. 

abcxyxkokomo

• View Profile
For those looking for housing, I got an email from studentspace at northwestern law. Here's an excerpt.

All numbers are 312 area code.

1.  McClurg. 943.5220: 1 Studio, 41st floor, $1066, available August 28th.  3 
Convertibles, available August 21st/22nd, $1275, $1289, $1368.

2.  Onterie: Nothing available.

3.  420 E. Ohio.  440.4201: 1-bedroom, 19th floor, $1550.  3-bedroom, $2873.

4.  Lake Shore Plaza.  661.0661: 1-bedroom, 14th floor available 8/20 @ $1125.

5.  860 N. Dewitt.  642.2860: Nothing until a 1-bedroom in Sept.

6.  900 N. Dewitt.  : 1 unfurnished available 8/17 #304, $815.  3 furnished
(perfect for you LLMs!) available  8/12, 8/15, 8/16 @ $1200.

7.  1100 N. Dearborn: Nothing available.

8.  1260 N. Dearborn.  944.5620: 2 1-bedrooms available 8/1.  $1100, $1150.  Ask them if they are still running the special for $400 off the first month.

9.  Dearborn Plaza.  397.0777: Small studios available.  #218 @ $605 (13' x 7'), #1605 @ $645 (13' x 9').   

10.  Cobbler Square.  944.2594: 700 sq. ft. loft @ $1160, 690 sq. ft. loft w/deck @ 
$1360, 700 sq. ft. sleeper loft @ $1398

If you are interested in the Lake Shore Plaza, 1260 N Dearborn, or Cobbler Square apartments, please call soon, as I expect them to fill up the quickest.

Don't forget to mention that you were referred by StudentSpace!!

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
It boggles my mind that anyone can afford to pay over $1000 a month for housing.  Actually, it just depresses me that I didn't qualify for a scholarship too.

sarbinson

I actually just spoke to Johann Lee who informed me that he just gave up the seat formerly occupied by a "sarbinson" to Woody Harrelson's 16 year old son.  I guess it's some sort of move to be like a poor man's Yale.

(Don't sweat it, there was only one deposit and I didn't receive a tuition bill, either... or am I out of a seat, too?  As long as you have already received the orientation schedule/health service/insurance stuff you should be fine)

Excellent- an incoming student with a sense of humor! 

Everyman

I hope that work experience hasn't made us all bitter and stuffy ;)

sarbinson

At least not all of us.  There were a few hot shots at the admit day throwing their LSAT scores around- these people should be required to wear some kind of identification that says "I am an a-hole".  I've heard more than half of law students fit this category, I could use a head start weeding them out! 

I hope that work experience hasn't made us all bitter and stuffy ;)