Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern University Law Student - Both Pre-1Ls and current students?  (Read 1788 times)

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
Just wanted to start up a post for NU Law Pre-1Ls getting ready to go and for current students who want to give any school-specific advise to us pre-1Ls.... Anyone????
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

nm4law

I'm going to look for an apartment this weekend, hope I'm not too late to find someplace good!  :-\

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
I just got a place pretty excited. Moving in the second week of aug. I know there are dozens of apartments available so I wouldn't worry
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
I'm going to look for an apartment this weekend, hope I'm not too late to find someplace good!  :-\

I made the mistake of thinking I needed to do this 3 months in advance, and I went out there in early June.  I had no trouble finding apartments, but unfortunately everyone was looking for someone to move in within the next 2 weeks.  I did settle on a great place but I got stuck paying rent for July even though I won't be there until mid-August.  I think now is probably the perfect time to go apartment hunting for mid-August, I wish I had waited. 

I'm not sure what your living situation is, but if you're looking for a roommate, try Craigslist.  It was pretty much the only tool I used to find dozens of apartments with people looking for roommates, and they have everything on there for $300 shitholes to $1500 penthouses. 

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I also went in June to find my apartment!  But, I opted to live in Streeterville, and wasn't sure how quickly those apartments rented.  I figure that if we decide to move out to Lakeview or something next year, we'll be in the city and it will be easier to look at apartments when the time comes.

Are you all moving alone or bringing a SO?

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
I also went in June to find my apartment!  But, I opted to live in Streeterville, and wasn't sure how quickly those apartments rented.  I figure that if we decide to move out to Lakeview or something next year, we'll be in the city and it will be easier to look at apartments when the time comes.

I'm curious if anyone without a scholarship or huge trust fund can actually afford to live in Streeterville or Gold Coast.  I know I can't.

nm4law

I found a 500 sq ft studio in the Gold Coast that is going to run me around $900 a month for everything (including cable/internet) but it is an a 1930's building and my view is of the apartments across the street, I also can not move in until labor day weekend :(.  I figured that paying an extra $100-200 a month to live less than 3/4 of a mile from school is justified for this first year, plus I am looking forward to living someplace ultra urban for a couple of semesters.  I looked in Streeterville, but the ridiculous closeness to NU could not offset the higher apartment costs and diminished area services (lack of cheap grocery stores and restaurants).  I figure everything will work out better next year when I am more familiar with the area, you can be sure that I will be looking to find a roommate and move further out (Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown) where I can have a lot more space for a lot less money.

sarbinson

I'm curious if anyone without a scholarship or huge trust fund can actually afford to live in Streeterville or Gold Coast.  I know I can't.

Maybe not in a 1 bedroom.  If you're willing to live in about 200 Square feet in somebody's closet, you can swing it for less than 700.

Did everybody get the e-mails from orientation advisors saying not to do any prepwork?  There's nothing like having one's own laziness justified- I like it!

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

Actually...  my husband is moving to Chicago with me, so we have two people living in a one bedroom.  If we were to be "splitting" our rent, it would probably be similar to what you are paying.

Everyman

I'm living in Streeterville, but the GI Bill will be subsidizing my monthly costs.

Where is there to get food other than the White hen on Ohio?