Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Major Choice  (Read 3061 times)

G-Money

• View Profile
Major Choice
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:27:22 AM »
Hi,

I just finished Grade 11 and I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands with regards to my choice of major for university.  Before people go off saying, "Oh, you're only going into your final year of high school, you need not worry about what you're going to study" or the ever present "Study what you're interested in", I just wanted to clarify that these three choices are already strong interests of mine and that I cannot foresee having any problems with or becoming so disinterested in these courses that I would end up dropping them.  Let me also preface this by saying that I am about 98% sure that I want to go into law, and more specifically corporate law.  So accordingly take this into consideration when commenting.

With that in mind, for university I'm considering majoring in Political Science, History or Economics.

Politics has always been a strong interest of mine; to the point that I partake in the premier mock political activity for my major metropolitan city, became an official member of a political party at the ripe age of 14 and will be doing some work for a prominent politician later this summer.  Furthermore, I have done fairly well in my one political oriented class (low 90's) in my secondary school.

History also provides me with an element of intrigue.  This has possibly been the subject in which I have performed the best over the course of my academic career and in addition to that, I have always been fascinated by it, however, more so by the events of the 20th century.

Finally, economics is a subject that I have recently taken to.  Although I have always had a strong interest in the soap opera that is the North American economy and money in general (a bit of an understatement).  Likewise, I have just started reading "The Tyranny of the Status Quo" and have been absolutely enthralled by the book.

So if anyone could assess my situation and give me some advice it would be much appreciated.  Thanks. 

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Major Choice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 09:39:18 AM »
Not sure what you want to know, but all three majors are common majors for law-bound students (which is not a bad thing) and should be excellent preparation.

G-Money

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »
Basically all I want to know is which one do you think is the best choice for my prospective field (ie corporate law).

Sorry for it being somewhat unclear as to what I am asking.  I had to do it rather quickly and thus didn't get a chance to look it over to make sure it made sense.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:13:51 AM »
All of these majors will prepare you equally for a track in corporate law, though corporate law means different things to different people.  Some think of it as simply the practice of representing large companies in all aspects of their business, whereas others think of of corporate law being only the transactional side of corporate representation.  The former encompases everything from litigation to labor and employment to securities regulation to lobbying whereas the latter focuses on one subject matter.  Any major will prepare you (insofar as any college major can prepare you for the profession beyond developing an ability to analyze a situation logically) for some aspect of the former.  On the other hand, I would say business or accounting would be better for purely transactional work.  I am currently working with the complex business litigation groups of my summer firms and I wish I knew more about business finance and accounting.  I can approach the problem very well from a litigation standpoint and I credit that ability to my government major to some degree.  On the other hand, I am having to teach myself the underlying principals of the deal before I can figure out what went wrong.  Hope this helps.   

G-Money

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 06:58:51 PM »
Thanks for your response Lenny. 

To clarify, I'm interested in securities, competition and anti-trust and megers and aquisitions.

If you have any suggestions on courses or routes that would be good prep for these areas please share them with me.

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 11:31:16 PM »
Thanks for your response Lenny. 

To clarify, I'm interested in securities, competition and anti-trust and megers and aquisitions.

If you have any suggestions on courses or routes that would be good prep for these areas please share them with me.

Well, like it has been said, any of them provide a good background since what you *really* need to know about the legal part will come in law school. But as far as giving yourself a heads-up... why not consider combining two? Like History with an economics minor (or vice versa). History gives you an extremely valuable amount of writing practice and economics will help you learn the nuances of the business world. Both together make a stronger background for you than either alone would.

As you may notice, if I were to disgard any of the three, it would be politics. Studying politics as a major is advantageous if you want to go into it. But going into politics is one of those things that many people want to do from their teenage years on (must be some defect that makes you want such a public life! :P) and if you are really leaning towards corporate (a choice I fully support, though I lean towards the transactional end) then it will probably benefit you the least of the three programs.
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 04:21:11 AM »
Hi,

I just finished Grade 11 and I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands with regards to my choice of major for university.  Before people go off saying, "Oh, you're only going into your final year of high school, you need not worry about what you're going to study" or the ever present "Study what you're interested in", I just wanted to clarify that these three choices are already strong interests of mine and that I cannot foresee having any problems with or becoming so disinterested in these courses that I would end up dropping them.  Let me also preface this by saying that I am about 98% sure that I want to go into law, and more specifically corporate law.  So accordingly take this into consideration when commenting.

With that in mind, for university I'm considering majoring in Political Science, History or Economics.

Politics has always been a strong interest of mine; to the point that I partake in the premier mock political activity for my major metropolitan city, became an official member of a political party at the ripe age of 14 and will be doing some work for a prominent politician later this summer.  Furthermore, I have done fairly well in my one political oriented class (low 90's) in my secondary school.

History also provides me with an element of intrigue.  This has possibly been the subject in which I have performed the best over the course of my academic career and in addition to that, I have always been fascinated by it, however, more so by the events of the 20th century.

Finally, economics is a subject that I have recently taken to.  Although I have always had a strong interest in the soap opera that is the North American economy and money in general (a bit of an understatement).  Likewise, I have just started reading "The Tyranny of the Status Quo" and have been absolutely enthralled by the book.

So if anyone could assess my situation and give me some advice it would be much appreciated.  Thanks. 

For corporate law, it really does not matter what you major in. I know 2 VERY sucessful corporate lawyers who majored in English and Statistics, respectively.

All 3 majors you listed are common "pre-law" majors, and will serve you reasonably well in the pursuit of law school. As much as you may not want to hear this, the important thing is to study what really interests you. Grades (and LSAT) are the most improtant thing in law school admissions; studying a subject that you have a true interest in will help in regards to colllege grades.

Like umcanes, I am one of those rare polisci majors who entered the major due to a true interest in the subject, rather than consideration of law school/grades. Heck, I declared polisci before I seriously considered law school.

Judging from your specific interests in corporate law, nothing you would learn as an undergrad would help you much when taking those classes in LS.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

G-Money

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 08:42:24 AM »
Once again, thanks everyone for your replies.

To clarify a few things:

I have most certainly considered doing a double major in the areas already mentioned, as it makes perfect sense to combine my areas of interest.

I've also done a fair bit of research on the undergrad schools I'm considering attending.

At the time being I am in fact leaning towards political science as I'm prob the most interested in it.

I also realize that economics provides the "best" background for my interests, in that it obviously is a field that pertains to business.  However, I have heard numerous things about the level of difficulty to get good marks in these programs, and this is especially the case at the schools I'm considering.

And I'm not really considering business because it would require me to take math in grade 12 and although I would do "well" in comparison to most people as I'm an all around strong student in every subject, it would not be up to par for my other grades in other classes.  Also, the business programs at the schools in my area, and more specifically the schools I'm considering, are widely known as the best in the country and admitt only the top student (not to say I would not be admitted, but just that it would be far more difficult to do as well in university as a direct result of the infa mous bell-curve).

Could anyone offer advice as to what is stereotypically viewed as the "easiest" of these courses to get good marks in.  By that I mean which course do students typically receive the highest grades of these three.  Also feel free to offer the courses that give out the highest marks in all of the undergrad studies in university.

This will not affect my decision, but I'm simply curious.  Thanks.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »
I say if your intereseted in Corporate law it would be wise to major in Economics or Business; but then again, I doubled majored in English and History so what do I know.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »
As far as ease/dificulty for grades, it really depends on the individual, your strengths and weaknesses. One thing that I should note is that Economics programs, especially at top colleges, are very math intensive. I say this because of your comments concerning math in your last post. You don't need to be a math genius, but have a pretty good grasp and comfort level of calculus. This applies mainly to upper-division classes, not intro econ.

My experiences re. grading ease: History, Polisci, Economics (easiest-hardest).

I would suggest taking at least some intro Econ classes in college, but even as an Econ major, I doubt you would pick up much that would help in law school classes/practice in M&E, Antitrust...
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.