Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings v. 3rd tier with $$$  (Read 3199 times)

pinktinker

• View Profile
Hastings v. 3rd tier with $$$
« on: June 14, 2004, 03:40:09 PM »
I was accepted to Hastings off their waitlist last week.  I had made plans, however, to attend a 3rd tier in my hometown; I was offered a substantial scholarship there, too.  I already have accrued approx. $60,000 in undergrad./grad. debt, and if I went to Hastings, I would end up with a grand total of approx. $140-150,000.  If I went to the 3rd tier, I'd end up with approx. $115,000 total (the scholarship amounts to $20,000/year, renewable, but I'd still have to take out Stafford loans to afford cost of living, books, insurance, etc.).  In addition, I have no money to afford the move to San Francisco at the moment -- I'd have to take out another credit card to pull that off, and I'm not anxious to do that, since I wouldn't be able to defer payment on that.

Any thoughts on this situation?  Anyone in a similar predicament? 

thechoson

Re: Hastings v. 3rd tier with $$$
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 03:41:43 PM »
You are only looking at 25k difference. Not much, in the grand scheme of things.  Do not let this be a factor. Go where you truly want.

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 04:53:54 PM »
the thing is that realistically even given these financial hardships that hastings would be able to pay them off at a faster rate than your 3rd tier school...so i think u should take ur future earning potential and alumn association which would heavily favor hastings into account because even though it is a lot to pay off ull get paid much more coming out of hastings...
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 05:12:05 PM »
I agree, I'd go with Hastings given the choice!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 08:03:54 PM »
Hastings without a doubt.  Your law school will be with you for your whole career.  If you don't want to be involved in the competitive areas of law (academia, corporate, big firms, judge etc...) then I guess it doesn't matter.  But for most people who want to be practicing lawyers and make big $$$, the law school you go to is important.

Besides as someone said before the difference in the debt load is not that large in the long run.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 11:29:12 PM »
go to hastings.

it's a highly respected law school.

doczakon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 02:31:42 AM »
I am stuck going to a 3rd tier with $$$, and if I had a shot at Hastings, I wouldn't think twice about it. Go to Hastings.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 12:21:29 AM »
May I ask when you got your original waitlist letter, what your stats are, and perhaps I'd like to remind you to take it easy the next three years, relax, stay in your home town  ::)
it's coming...

pinktinker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 12:58:46 PM »
My stats are 163 composite/3.47 UGPA, and I have a substantial amount of grad work and excellent ECs.  When I was waitlisted, I immediately sent the admissions office an updated resume and letter of interest via email.

I'm holding off on the decision until next week, when I should receive the financial award letter from Hastings -- that's when I'll find out how much private loan money I've qualified for.  If it's not enough, my decision will have been made for me, I suppose; if I do receive enough, I'll have a few (more) sleepless nights ahead of me as I try to decide what to do. 

Hastings, obviously, will open doors for me that the third tier school in contention may not, but making a rush move up to SF (I'd have less than a month to get everything in order) would not be without its share of significant complexities, not the least of which would be the necessity of acclimating myself to a new and very unfamiliar city while also attempting to make a smooth transition into law school.

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 01:35:23 AM »
You have more than a month. You have two months.