Law School Discussion

Mensa Qualification

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Mensa Qualification
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:20:27 AM »
What is the minimum LSAT score required for Mensa membership?

cutcut

• I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
Re: Mensa Qualification
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 01:01:15 PM »
162 or higher? For some reason I thought you would need a better score. Not that a 162 is a bad score but when I think of Mensa Iím thinking 180.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »
I am in Mensa and I qualified through the WISC III test.. at the time I took the test I was studying for the LSAT and was also suprised at what I considered to be a fairly low score for admission...

maybe Mensa figures that those taking the LSAT usually represent a higher strata of intelligence anyway, whereas an IQ test or the SAT (for example) can or is taken by the general public (whether by choice or through requirement).  This way, the sample is skewed from the onset; the 98% or higher required from a pool of candidates with a spectrum of intellectual ability is not necessarily the same when you are using the LSAT as a measuring stick.

Obviously, there are multiple flaws in the above logic, but that is the best I can come up with.  Otherwise, I agree:  It seems like 163 is a bit low..

Either way, as you can see from my lsn link, my 159 didnt cut it and Im happy I went with an independent test. 

consideringcancel

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:52:26 PM »
$50 bucks a year for bragging rights? Don't think it's worth it...and looking at the qualifying scores, doesn't look that exclusive. The site claims "To qualify for Mensa, one must score in the top 2 percent of the general population on an accepted standardized intelligence test." Am I missing something here?

consideringcancel

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:55:35 PM »
$50 bucks a year for bragging rights? Don't think it's worth it...and looking at the qualifying scores, doesn't look that exclusive. The site claims "To qualify for Mensa, one must score in the top 2 percent of the general population on an accepted standardized intelligence test." Am I missing something here?

Yes, you missed my entire post.

Haha, I guess I'm a bit thrown off on the 'general population' part...which I took as only people who actually took the test.