Law School Discussion

Poll

When is the best time to visit?

Before classes & Before application in
Before classes & Application in
During classes & Before application in
During classes & Application In

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: When is the best time to visit?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 10:56:56 AM »
Are there any real reasons to visit before you apply?  I could visit a lot of the schools I'm interested in on weekends, but would have a hard time doing so on weekdays before late winter.  Do folks think it shows a school you're really interested, or do they not care?

I'm fairly settled in the schools I want to apply to, give or take a couple of safeties, and it's going to be a short list by the standards of this board, so I'm not too worried about spending extra money applying to a school I turn out to hate (plus I've got my fingers crossed for waivers of course).

miller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 11:01:21 AM »
sugersh

Your LSN account is hopefully wrong. A lot of those schools are not even close to what you should be looking at. You will get scholarships at almost all the latter half of the T15 with those numbers. You should be dropping anything outside of the top 15. Penn and NYU give out great scholarships *(almost full rides) to people with similiar numbers to yours. Dont waist your money on those lower ranked schools like BU (not even a traditional top 25) and Cardozo.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 11:14:09 AM »
sugersh

Your LSN account is hopefully wrong. A lot of those schools are not even close to what you should be looking at. You will get scholarships at almost all the latter half of the T15 with those numbers. You should be dropping anything outside of the top 15. Penn and NYU give out great scholarships *(almost full rides) to people with similiar numbers to yours. Dont waist your money on those lower ranked schools like BU (not even a traditional top 25) and Cardozo.

It's not exactly where I'm applying to, but it's probably close. I may not apply to Cardozo/Brooklyn, and probably not to New England (that one made my list before I took the LSATs), but overall my priorities are a little skewed by typical law school standards (I'm not applying outside of the Northeast, which cuts down on T20 options), and I tend to be kind of conservative in this kind of process; I want to be as sure as possible that I can go to law school next year without incurring so much debt that I'll have to work 70+ hours a week at a job I hate just to keep up with the payments.  So I figured I should apply to some places that have a really good chance of giving me a lot of scholarship money (assuming that at a school like NYU feels a little presumptuous, but at BU I feel like I have a solid shot at $$$), as well as places with good debt forgiveness programs.

And hopefully I won't be wasting too much money due to fee waivers, although so far I haven't gotten any that I plan to use.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 11:40:14 AM »
sugersh

NYU at least will give you $$

I got $15k/year merit with lower # than yours.