Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just set up OneNote  (Read 5683 times)

lsatlover

Re: Just set up OneNote
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »

BAFF

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »
For those who have OneNote:

I set it up and actually had my first clases today.  I really like how easy it makes it to outline, but I still do not understand the best way to use it yet.

Has anyone else found a good system?

here is what I am doing:  I have separate sections for each class.  I am starting a new page within those sections for class notes, briefs, and hypos (so far).  Is it possible to pull up both pages at once?  I am worried I will want to have my brief open when I am taking notes.  I could always cut/paste into a Word doc. 

And another question...  Currently I am saving all my briefs ect in one page, or does anyone think it is better to separate a subpage for each date?

Thanks!

kidblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2005, 12:28:38 AM »
Could a few people post the templates they are using with Onenote? Maybe we could find a website to upload them to and share. That would be awesome. Anybody interested?

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2005, 01:08:56 AM »
Could a few people post the templates they are using with Onenote? Maybe we could find a website to upload them to and share. That would be awesome. Anybody interested?

just bought this program today (based on this thread and the few others about it), $39 @ staples (after rebate)... I start 1L next week and I would like to see how other people have it all set up.  I am not really sure how to go about it, as I am inexperienced with the program, and, more importantly, with law school in general.  Any advice would be great

BAFF213

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2005, 06:20:46 PM »
My law school gave it to us for free. I tried it out. It seemed like too much of a pain to learn how to become proficient in using it and like it was not worth it. I could be wrong though.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2005, 11:33:24 PM »
Now that I've had more practice with the program through Orientation, I think it will work just fine, except of course for assignments for Lawyering Skills.  One powerful feature is the note flags.  I've set mine up with one for definitions, one for hypos, and another one for briefs.  That way I can write all my notes by topic within each section of my notebook and just use the Flags Summary pane to find all definitions, etc.

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2005, 12:14:05 AM »
i hadnt set up flags... thats a great idea!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »
I used OneNote for my criminal law class I took in the summer.

I didn't do the class exactly correct (didn't start my outline until the reading period at the end, but you can get away with that if you only have one class), but OneNote worked excellently for me.

I just made case briefs in OneNote than wrote the outlines on a seperate page.  Here's my idea for how I'm going to reorganize for the fall semester.

Class name (folder)
- Syllabus, Due Dates, Overview
- Briefs and Class Notes (section)
--Briefs will be on pages, title the same as the topic of the cases, with class notes on the subpage.  There will be a new page or subpage for each day.
- Outline
-- One page for each topic.

The best way to print is use the Send to Microsoft Word command (File->Send To...->Microsoft Office Word).  To share notes with people, you can e-mail right from OneNote, and it displays the notes as HTML (File->Send To...->E-mail Recipient). Note that both of these require the rest of Microsoft Office, so they don't work with OpenOffice or Thunderbird.

Once you send the outline to Word, you can mark it up with page numbers of cases and of other portions of the outline, since OneNote does not make new "pages" as you go along.  I really think the search function of OneNote is great because during class you can type in a case name or citation instantly and get to your brief, and even see other cases where it was mentioned.

And here is a link to a case briefing template for OneNote.

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2005, 04:35:47 PM »
one more question:  this probably applies to OneNote or any other program anyone would be using to take notes.

So you're typing along in class, and want to insert a symbol, like a Pi, Delta, or that little section thing.  Instead of Typing Alt+206F (i think thats it for delta but could be wrong), or going to Character map, or Instert>symbol... is there a better way to do this?  Knowing I'm going to use those three symbols alot, can I set them to a menu button, or at least a keyboard shortcut (or unused function key)?   

Anyone have any ideas?  I know i'm not the only one who thought of this... and I'd rather not just use "P" and "D" because I think the symbol stands out more on re-read

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »
Would it be easier to quickly change into Symbol font and then strike the "p" or "d" keys as normal?
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein