Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just set up OneNote  (Read 5715 times)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just set up OneNote
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 07:42:30 PM »
You can also get OneNote through your school's bookstore for about $50 dollars. Most people get the student discount on software once you enroll in school again.

OneNote is on sale at CompUsa for anyone thinking about buying it...that got me to finally take the plunge!  I downloaded a trial before purchasing and while it is far from a must have...playing around with it has shown me some benefits...and I am far from a tech person...just a thought...

PeoplesLawJD08

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2005, 09:13:29 AM »
i have onenote installed.  is it worth using it?  I dont see why its better than MS Word (but have yet to really look at it.)  can you explain what it does that is so great?

PeoplesLawJD08

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2005, 09:15:31 AM »
you can also find "trial" copies of OneNote and the rest of MS Office on your local newsgroup or P2P network.  Just make sure you do not use any software that you do not hold a license to.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005, 09:32:04 AM »
I bought new version of OneNote on eBay for around $15.

scubasteve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2005, 12:06:06 PM »
The system of tabs makes it easier to quickly move from topic to topic. Or, if you set it up like I do, with a new tab each day, it makes it easier to move from day to day.  If you use Word, you have to either use 1 large file and continue with it each day (bulky) or create a new file for each day's notes (time consuming).

Also, One Note automatically saves your tab.  At the end of class, all you have to do is close it out.

The only downside for me, if you can call it that, is that not very many people have it.  So when someone asks for a copy of a certain days notes, as inevitably happens, you have to cut and paste into a Word file.  Not a huge hassle, but extra steps.

i have onenote installed.  is it worth using it?  I dont see why its better than MS Word (but have yet to really look at it.)  can you explain what it does that is so great?

varndawl

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2005, 03:56:39 PM »
Did anyone have bad experiences with these computer note-taking programs? I'm definitely looking into getting a laptop for LS b/c of the convenience, but I'm not sure whether I want to use it for notes. I was a journalism major in college and with shorthand I can write over 80 words a min, but I can only type like 40. Is it just insane to think I can write out the notes myself?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
That's great. It was the full version?

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 05:53:51 PM »
That's great. It was the full version?

Yes.

BAFF213

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 12:15:04 AM »
Why do you want to avoid using Outlook?

My tablet (Fujitsu T4010) has OneNote and I'm still deciding between that or Agilix GoBinder.  So far I prefer GoBinder since it has an integrated calendar and task list, and I want to avoid using Outlook.

As for organization, I'm thinking something like this:
Contracts
     Syllabus
     Notes & Briefs (plan to use ink to add directly to my briefs during class)
     Flowcharts
     Other
Etc.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
Why do you want to avoid using Outlook?

My tablet (Fujitsu T4010) has OneNote and I'm still deciding between that or Agilix GoBinder.  So far I prefer GoBinder since it has an integrated calendar and task list, and I want to avoid using Outlook.

I guess I'm biased against it from having to use it at work... the way we had it set up was a real pain.  I realize it probably wouldn't be as much of a pain on my personal computer, but I still want to check out what else is available.