Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG programs?  (Read 1980 times)

gar598

• AOL Instant Messenger - gar598
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gar598@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
JAG programs?
« on: July 04, 2003, 08:47:05 AM »
I was looking into, possibly, going into a JAG program after Law School.  I'm presently still in undergrad but the Marines have been pestering me about going to officer training before I enter Law School.  From what they tell me, there is no obligation for attending officer training school but you do receive a minimal amount of money for attending.  After LS, I belive you're required to sign-on for 3-years-1st year pay is around $35k but they do cover housing, food, healthcare and other benefits.

The air force has also contacted me regarding their JAG programs. From what I hear, the AF pays better than other branches.
http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/
http://www.jagcnet.army.mil/

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Law is order, and good law is good order.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

ctiger

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: JAG programs?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 09:55:11 AM »
If you want to go into the Marine Corps I hope you're in shape.  All Marines are foot soldiers first, that means that you will have to go to OCS with all the guys that want to be pilots and infantry soldiers, it is no joke!
 On the other hand, the other services realize that JAGs are never going to see action, therefore you go to a knife and fork school to get your commission.  Hope that helps.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 04:35:45 PM »
My recollection is that even the JAGs in the Marine Corps are required to complete OCS and The Basic School (TBS) prior to heading to their specialty.  Every enlisted Marine is initially trained to be a basic rifleman and fire-team leader, and every Marine officer is initially trained as a rifle platoon commander.

I was an enlisted Marine before entering the officer program as an aviation candidate.  After having been an enlisted Marine, I wouldn’t have even considered being an officer in any other service.  As enlisted Marines, we had the kind of respect for our officers that I generally didn’t see in the other services.  At OCS, I found out why Marine officers command such respect.  Recruit training was tough, but OCS cranks it up several notches.  Both experiences were extremely rewarding in a personal and professional sense.

After completing the first of two summer increments of OCS, I became involved in several entrepreneurial activities in the civilian world.  I eventually exceeded the age limit for an aviation candidate, so I never returned to Quantico to finish up my training.  However, I remain incredibly thankful for my experiences in the Marine Corps, which continue to pay off in almost every aspect of my life.

As a future law student, I suspect you are the kind of person who is drawn to a challenge.  At Marine Corps OCS, you will face challenges with physical, emotional, and intellectual elements combined.  Your ability to function effectively in the face of immanent failure will be tested and honed.  At the end of each day, you will be mentally and physically exhausted, but incredibly satisfied with yourself.  And make no mistake; just about everything you learn there is applicable in the civilian world.

Your Marine Officer Selection Officers are probably steering you toward PLC Law Option.  I encourage you to give this opportunity a second look.  Good luck to you!

"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

gar598

• AOL Instant Messenger - gar598
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gar598@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 05:06:38 PM »
Thks for the advice :)
Law is order, and good law is good order.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 11:44:55 AM »
I considered JAG and OCS as I was summarily admitted into the US Naval Academy Navy/Marine... But after much pressure of my parents to go only because THEY wanted to see me SUCCEED I chose to apply for an undergrad career then law school very shortly after.  Civillian law is where it's at! Although I was trained for court marshals and the like... Follow your dreams... Good Luck
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141