Law School Discussion

Hastings or Georgetown?

Re: Hastings or Georgetown?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2005, 09:17:45 PM »
Are we talking equal cost here or does the OP have a scholarship to Hastings?

edit:  oops, i see he/she said in state so Hastings is cheaper. 

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2005, 02:42:21 PM »
you can find all the rankings on the yahoo group called law school rankings I think, just go to yahoo groups and search for it

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2005, 07:56:27 AM »
I'm constantly amazed at this common attitude floating around the boards.

Just because the school is dubbed "higher" by USNEWS doesn't make it the be all end all. Competition is high in law school period whether it seems that way or not. It will be even more competitive in "lower" ranked schools since students know they must do well if they wish to travel.

That being said a student at 50% at a "higher" ranked school doesn't mean he is ANY smarter than anyone else at a lower ranked school. It just means he a) maybe had a higher LSAT (which in itself has too many factors involved to worry about) b) was possibly a URM c) maybe was a legacy d) had a good personal statement.

The whole RANKING bs needs to stop. Cost of living in the areas where you "make more money" basically reduces the "prestige" to the same playing field as all other schools. Society is too obsessed with NAMES.

Personally, I believe people should look at programs and placement statistics and decide where they want to practice instead of doing something insane like changing their whole life, stressing themself out, moving across country to go to a "higher" ranked school just to find out it isn't what it seems to be.

ilsox7 is probably one of the wisest posters I've seen on these delusional boards. The bottom line is go to a school thats reasonable, where you enjoy yourself and are comfortable, that has a program you are interested in, and that has feasible networking in the area where you want to practice. Sure if you go to the extreme "top" schools you can probably travel where you want to go, but sometimes that may not be worth the toll it takes on your debt, stress, and comfort. That being said, other than the extreme top, I wouldn't waste my time getting caught up with "prestige" and would instead focus on the best possible outcome taking all factors into consideration.

To end the rant--I would chose Hastings if I were you.

I get ilsox7's point and that's exactly why I'm still debating about this. Hastings is a very good school, despite of the ranking. Plus its reputation is high in california.

The only thing that worries me is I'd be competing with the graduates of boalt, stanford, ucla, t14 etc for the jobs. If I can't make to the top 25% of the class at hastings, I'm dead. For Georgetown, even if I don't do well, I think I'm still going to be ok. Is this a valid point?

Thanks all for your input.

About reputation...yes, Hastings is VERY well thought of in Cali.  I'd venture to guess it's at least as highly thought of as Georgetown.  Sadly, some people around LSD simply cannot get over the fact that USNEWS isn't the be all and end all.  What a lot of people do not realize is that it's often much better to go to a very good "regional" school where you want to pracice rather than an excellent "national" school across the country from where you want to be.  Now, let's say law school doesn't go as planned and you don't make top you're top half at Georgetown and top 65% at Hastings.  All you've proved, no matter what the outcome, is that you're a mediocre law student.  Now, being a mediocre law student, what would you rather have going for you?  Interviewing with partners and associates who went to your school and can "bond" with you over that?  Having the ability to do part time work throughout the school year so as to show a firm that even though you're not a great student you will be a great lawyer?  The ability to network constantly throughout 3 years in the city you want to practice?  Or move across the whole country, not knowing one lawyer in California, trying to find a job by saying, "Hey, I went to Georgetown!  I may have been a mediocre student there, but it's GEORGETOWN."

Methinks your best bet then is Hastings.  Again, you really can't go wrong with either choice.  But I'd venture to guess life would be easier by going to Hastings.

Just to note: 

Someone who can place in the top half at a school like Georgetown or Hastings isn't exactly a medicore law student.  They're probably a pretty decent law student.  Keep in mind the competition levels at these schools.

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »
Will be in the top 20 again.

Hastings Begins Search for New Dean to Replace Chancellor and Dean Mary Kay Kane Upon Her Return to the Faculty

Hastings is pleased to announce the commencement of the search for a new Dean. The new Dean will succeed Chancellor & Dean Mary Kay Kane, who has served Hastings with great distinction for over 28 years, with over 12 years as Chancellor and Dean. Hastings has been well-served by her leadership and devotion to the school, and we will miss her stewardship greatly. Two years ago, Mary Kay announced her decision to retire from the Chancellorship after the 2005-2006 academic year, at which time she will return to her position as a Distinguished Professor of Law. This past Spring, the Board of Directors, in consultation with the faculty, appointed a Committee of Board Members and Faculty to begin the search for Mary Kay's successor. It is thus with mixed emotions that the Committee assumes its task. We are deeply grateful for all Mary Kay has accomplished, and we are very excited by the prospect of finding the most qualified person to lead Hastings as it continues to build and improve on its very solid foundation.

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2005, 09:46:40 AM »
It some how doesn't sound right to me that someone will goto Hastings over Georgetown even for IP.  I don't really no the salience of those specializations since Pepeperdine University is number on is dispute resolution, above stanford, NW, Harvard, and GT. 
Also, according to my 2003 USNEWS Hastings is not even mentioned under top IP law school. 

Hastings will have a hard time beating USC, let alone getting into T20.  I would choose it over Davis but not over USC.  I would choose UCLA over USC anyday.  Between UCLA and GULC, I would chooce GT but somepeople might have good rasons to choose UCLA.

GULC and Hastings are not comparable.   

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 06:20:58 PM »
One thing nobody has mentioned is that when you are in LS, you are doing clinicals, externships, and meeting tons of people in the legal community. It seems kind of sucky to go somewhere for 3 years, then move 3,000 miles away and lose all that.

I don't have an easy answer as to which school you should pick, and I don't think anybody on this board does. Georgetown has the better rep, but your Hastings contacts will be closer geographically, and it's in the state where you want to practice. You are going to have to throw darts and choose one.