Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have you read 'Getting to Maybe'?  (Read 1937 times)

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have you read 'Getting to Maybe'?
« on: July 11, 2005, 07:18:25 PM »
I've just started reading it, and what have I found a mere 17 pages into the book??? A typo!  Yes, I may be a bit anal; but really, a grammatical error already...  I mean, come on, this book has been on the market for a long time, couldn't they have fixed this by now?

Aside from the glaring typo on page 17, the book is really interesting.  I'm about half way through it, and so far I'm really enjoying it.  How about you???

mediafatigue

• View Profile
Re: Have you read 'Getting to Maybe'?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »
I have the book, planning to start it after July 15th (work projects mean I won't have much free time until then.) Funny about the typo thing though. The only other "prep" book I've read is Intro to the Study and Practice of Law in the Nutshell series -- which was excellent, but also had a ton (ok, maybe two dozen) typos. Admittedly, I'm an editor by trade so I thought it was just me being picky. It made me sad that the author had written such a great book on law school and practice, but his copyeditor was clearly asleep at the wheel.

How are you finding Getting to Maybe? I'm looking forward to reading it, though expect I'll want to re-read it during the semester. And seriously, I would highly recommend the Nutshell book -- particularly for anyone looking for big-picture advice instead of just anxiety-inducing anecdotes about school. (Just consider spotting the typos as good practice for law review...)

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:01:01 AM »
Personally, I'm finding it somewhat difficult to read. Everytime they try to use an example (usually a complex legal situation) it gets me more confused.  I think I'll pick it back up after I've been exposed to law school a little more.  I can already tell it will be a good book though!
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »
I started it, and then got distracted by some of the E&E books. I plan to go back and finish Getting to Maybe before school starts though. It's a great book, but I too think that it will be more useful once school starts.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:35:55 AM »
Hubby and I took the kids down to the beach for a week and that was my reading material.  I left all my magazines at home so I'd be forced to read it.  Well, I really enjoyed it.  I think my paralegal experience helped me understand a lot of what they were talking about (the legal mumbo-jumbo); otherwise it might have been confusing.

It made me feel a lot better about school, now that I see what the exams are looking for.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 10:54:01 AM »
Does everyone order Getting to Maybe online? No barnes n noble I go to has it.  Is it the same with the E&E books?  Do people buy all of them and read them before the class even starts or else just use it as a supplement during the semester?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:55:47 AM »
Does everyone order Getting to Maybe online? No barnes n noble I go to has it.  Is it the same with the E&E books?  Do people buy all of them and read them before the class even starts or else just use it as a supplement during the semester?

Amazon.com
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 11:06:22 AM »

I like Amazon, too.  If you want to save a little money, you also can look on ebay or barrister books - http://www.barristerbooks.com/Product/Product.asp/law-qMethod/law-eqSearch/law-amp~/law-eq/law-IdS-0017CC-5F285F0 (I've found better deals on both of those sites for all of the E&E books, too)

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »
I'm really enjoying Getting To Maybe.  I'm a legal clerk now, so all the legalese makes sense to me, and I've had a few law classes in undergrad so the exam format isn't new to me either.  I'm feeling really lucky.

Thanks for the advice on the other pre-l.s. books.  My LS sent us a suggested summer reading list, so I've got them ALL.  This is the first one I'm reading.

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 02:24:19 PM »
I LOVED Law School Confidential. 

( http://www.barristerbooks.com/law-book-90003/law-IdS-0023C7-2A5D880 )

It was my first law school book I bought.  It was written by recent law grads and was SO funny!
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!