Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Future Makeup of Black America  (Read 552 times)

cassius_wilkes

The Future Makeup of Black America
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:09:18 AM »
According to statistical info the sex ratio of blacks in institutes of higher education is roughly 1/3 male, 2/3 female. This is not surprising due to the fact that aproximately 1/3 of college aged black men are somehow emeshed in the "system" (jail, parole etc.) For college and collge educated women this means that in the future about half of black woman will either have to date someone who is not black or who is significantly less educated. 4 scenarios have been devised, many college and college educated black women can either:
1. date infrequnetly, never marry, never have kids,
2. date sporadically, never marry, become a single mother,
3. date outside one's class, date more often, marry someone of lesser education and perhaps have children,
4. or date outside one's race, date more often and perhaps marry someone of a different race but similar education and have interracial kids.

Also, poorer, less educated black women face the same dearth of men, with a significant portion of men brought down by the war on drugs (and the ensuing sentences) and the loss over the past few decades of steady factory jobs that enabled a stable 2-parent middle class existence. As a result a growing majority of poor, uneducated, young black women are becoming single mothers.

Discuss, what do you think this means in the long run for the makeup of blacks in America, specifically blacks in higher education?

YoungIke

Re: The Future Makeup of Black America
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 08:59:43 AM »
Do these take into account the amount of that 1/3 that are gay. That narrows the field even more. I feel for the educated sisters who are surpassing the black male yet still have to deal with the areas in life which having a strong black man is a necessity.

To see my full view on this topic check out ( http://youngike.blogspot.com/2005/06/on-being-black-man.html )

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 09:30:23 AM »
With respect to the makeup of blacks in the future, I don't think it will be much different from the makeup of blacks right now. If one looks critically at the "black" population today, one will see that there has already been a significant amount of "mixing". In fact, many people who refer to themselves as black show clear characteristics of other races.

As for the impact on blacks in higher education, I take it you are referring to the impact on black women who must deal with the consequences of a very small population of eligible black men. I am of the opinion that it is already hard enough to find a good man, and be able to build a strong, committed relationship. Confining yourself to one class/race makes this even more difficult.

Ultimately, it's a matter of choice. Personally, I don't place such restrictions on myself. But then again, I have been very fortunate to find someone that I have been able to build a relationship with.
Who's your Daddy now?

DodgerLaw

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 02:28:49 PM »
Oh, excuse me. I thought this thread was about cosmetics.