Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recent Lynchings  (Read 4197 times)

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Lynchings
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 12:38:07 AM »
The law is what will make sure these people are punished. Why should YOU get reparation for what happened how many years ago, and had NOTHING to do with you? Really....
There may be racism today, but hey, it goes both ways. Students that are white in areas where the majority are NOT white face the same things you do, but you don't seem to care about that because you are too selfish and self-centered to care.

And you are benefiting from what was done "many years ago."  BUT I am sure that you have chosen not to partake of those "benefits."  Do a "Black Like Me" for two months and get back with me. 
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 01:41:45 AM »
what makes you think that some of our grandparents or great- grandparents weren't lynched ??? do you know with absolute certainty that none of our families were victims to such injustice??

oh I certainly care ImVinny.... share with me one of your own personal stories of racial discrimination... i'm all eyes and ears to this one

in addition to that share a tragedy that has affected non minorities the same way that lynching and slavery affected blacks ...

The law is what will make sure these people are punished. Why should YOU get reparation for what happened how many years ago, and had NOTHING to do with you? Really....
There may be racism today, but hey, it goes both ways. Students that are white in areas where the majority are NOT white face the same things you do, but you don't seem to care about that because you are too selfish and self-centered to care.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 01:45:31 AM »
what makes you think that some of our grandparents or great- grandparents weren't lynched ??? do you know with absolute certainty that none of our families were victims to such injustice??

oh I certainly care ImVinny.... share with me one of your own personal stories of racial discrimination... i'm all eyes and ears to this one

in addition to that share a tragedy that has affected non minorities the same way that lynching and slavery affected blacks ...

reign- vinny is just crying out...for a good kick in the pants.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:46:35 AM »
awee E... i'm really curious.. he put it out there so i'd like to hear a story....
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 08:03:16 AM »
Fine then:
I went to a Martin Luther King Day Celebration in Gary (yeah Gary, IN) and this was when I was in high school. We were learning about Dr. King and the struggles he faced and even watch a movie on his life. Then we were going to have a discussion. EVERYONE else in the room was Af. Am. except me, even the teachers hosting the day.
The students then proceeded to talk about white people and blah blah blah, as they went around the table, it came to me and they said, oh you have nothing to say, you are white anyways (which I am NOT white). But the very fact that they thought that I was white (they figured) gave them the right to start blaming ME for their problems. They wouldn't let me talk about anything that I had learned that day, but continued to ridicule me and the rest of my race. Why did the teachers allow this to happen?
I can't be blamed for something that happened how many years ago, why should I be the one to take the blame? My family was busy getting taken over by the Turks when all the beginning of this century happened, not lynching others.

YoungIke

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 08:20:48 AM »
Don't forget about the Durham cross burnings.
http://www.nbc17.com/news/4533679/detail.html

Vinny you have to realize that many of our parents or grandparents (depending on age) don't trust white people at all, no matter nationality. Yes it was the WASP who enslaved us, but all other non-WASP European immigrants used the hatred of blacks to their advantage to alleviate the discrimination against themselves and were then accepted more into society and left alone. This made our parents not trust any whites. Many in our generation who are this far in our education have grown out of these generational teachings and beliefs, but you have to look into the history of an ethnics groups integration into American society and the time frame to see why Afro-Americans historically are cool with some nationalities while not with others. However, this is just that historic and is fazing out with time.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
The people making these comments to me were not older people, they were about 15-17 at the time, and I was about 15/16.

YoungIke

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »
The people making these comments to me were not older people, they were about 15-17 at the time, and I was about 15/16.

It came down from their parents, I was like that also. However with time and experience I am more open minded as are many other members of our generation who haven't experiences much first hand discrimination.  Well until we applied to Law school and started posting on LSD.  Sorry you had to go through that, but you moved passed it and learned from it. 

"Struggle sparks curiosity, curiosity sparks wisdom, and wisdom sparks true manhood." -Young Ike-

It's got to be politically incorrect to quote yourself, or maybe just arrogant   ;D

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 10:29:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with quoting yourself, especially if you got a good quote.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 02:47:35 PM »

ABBEVILLE, S.C. - Eugene Crawford’s grandfather was killed by a mob after arguing with a white man over the price of cotton in 1916.

It was a crime that was barely spoken of, but pain and fear stayed with older family members. After all, more was taken from the family than Anthony Crawford, a wealthy black farmer.

Two whites were appointed executors of Crawford’s estate, which included 427 acres of prime cotton land. His children inherited the farm, but the rest of the property and his cotton went to the white man with whom he had had a disagreement.

“It makes me angry,” Eugene Crawford, 81, of Philadelphia, said at a reconciliation service held by white church leaders Tuesday as an effort to atone for the lynching. “But I’m glad we’re coming together a little bit.”

Hundreds gathered at Friendship Worship Center in this small town in western South Carolina for the service, where white church leaders confessed the sins of their ancestors and apologized to blacks for the Anthony Crawford lynching and other racial strife that took place nearly a century ago.

“We forgive today for all the lynching that took place in this county and in the Southern states,” the Rev. Tony Foster told white church leaders. “We forgive you for all the churches that you burned and all the mobs that raped our women.” The Rev. Wendell Rhodes, the event’s organizer, stood beside Foster and wept as he spoke.

The idea for the service came when Crawford’s lynching was highlighted during the U.S. Senate’s formal apology last month to the descendants of victims of lynchings.

Members of Crawford’s family have been waiting for something like this for decades. Accounts say Crawford hauled a wagon-load of cotton into town to the mercantile store of W.D. Barksdale on Oct. 21, 1916.

Crawford was arrested after he accused Barksdale of cheating him by giving him less for his cotton than white farmers were receiving. Between 200 and 400 local residents hung him from a pine tree and riddled his body with 200 bullets, family members said. No one was ever tried for the killing.