Law School Discussion

Howard's homecoming

lex19

Re: Howard's homecoming
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2005, 07:23:16 AM »
on the dot faith!

:o mobell, you don't wear jeans? like never? Thats shocking to me. I have lots of jeans and the only skirts I own are jean skirts.

this discussion about clothes is so funny, because amongst white people, its like the most ratty looking person is probably the richest. one of my friends is like one of those backpacker type white dudes that lets his beard grow out, wears the same jeans/cordoroys/khakis and those t-shirts from the thrift store and he's not strugglin at all, never went to public school, the whole nine. but, then with black people its almost the inverse. a black person with money is in 3 piece expensive suits everyday. i would say it had to do with slavery, but africans are the same way. i guess its just cultural.

omega--why the preference for short hair?

Whatever, HBCU... ::) (FYI, I don't even wear jeans.)

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2005, 07:27:45 AM »
Yup.

on the dot faith!

:o mobell, you don't wear jeans? like never? Thats shocking to me. I have lots of jeans and the only skirts I own are jean skirts.

this discussion about clothes is so funny, because amongst white people, its like the most ratty looking person is probably the richest. one of my friends is like one of those backpacker type white dudes that lets his beard grow out, wears the same jeans/cordoroys/khakis and those t-shirts from the thrift store and he's not strugglin at all, never went to public school, the whole nine. but, then with black people its almost the inverse. a black person with money is in 3 piece expensive suits everyday. i would say it had to do with slavery, but africans are the same way. i guess its just cultural.

omega--why the preference for short hair?

Whatever, HBCU... ::) (FYI, I don't even wear jeans.)

faith2005

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2005, 07:42:45 AM »
i agree with you mobell, it is a problem in the hood, but I feel like some of it is cultural. maybe its something we just have to be mindful of, because we know we have that tendency. like I tell myself all the time, I don't need to go shopping! I avoid the mall, because I know that when I go, I'm really tempted to buy stuff. the part of it that I think is truly American based is the concentration on brand names etc. and that part of it, I think we can cure. the part about having to look nice all the time is something that most black folks I know have.

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2005, 08:17:24 AM »
It's funny that ya'll are talking about this.  Me and a girlfriend of mine (who is white) were talking about the EXACT same thing last night.  She is a spend thrift because her mother is.  I am too - because of my mother.  Our el-cheapo friends are that way because their families are el-cheapo (or taught them to save and make smart choices with money).  Another one of my white gf's is into vintage and thrift store stuff because of her mother.  I think a lot of it has to do with your family's philosophy on spending....

I am trying to be more frugal - but it's like going on a diet....I blow it on a daily basis.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2005, 08:18:33 AM »
Culturally, black people have always like to look nice. Maybe it has something to do with slavery when didn't have the luxury of looking the way we would like to have looked.

Mobell, I feel you on the jeans, I only have like 4 pairs. I hardly ever wear jeans.

faith2005

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2005, 08:29:43 AM »
i don't think it has to do with slavery, africans are the same way. the brand name stuff is all American though. and its whack, even though I fall into the trap as well.

lex19

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2005, 08:33:09 AM »
am i the only bum on the board? if i could i'd rock sweat pants and a t-shirt everyday....

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2005, 08:35:18 AM »
That's not bummy - just make sure the sweats are Juicy Couture and it's some kind of tight, vintage logo tee....with a cute pair of Pumas. ;)

am i the only bum on the board? if i could i'd rock sweat pants and a t-shirt everyday....

lex19

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2005, 08:39:17 AM »
yeah i can't do the juicy stuff, i'm already prepping for my "soccer mom" status I can't stay away from ann taylor, j. crew, banana, or talbots (yeah i know)....and i'm a sucker for any ralph lauren oxford out....i dream about new shiney loafers to wear to the club....hehehe

edit: i can't believe i just wrote that, yeah i'm a dork, but a classy one none the less

faith2005

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2005, 08:44:43 AM »
come on lex, you know i'm with you on being somewhat of a bum. i love jeans and t-shirts. i think that wearing sweat pants to class would be the norm if I wasn't going to such a preppy school. but we'll see, they might just get to see my sweatpants.  :D