Law School Discussion

Howard's homecoming

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
Re: Howard's homecoming
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
It's the same way at some PW churches.  I work at a PW church and ya'll would not BELIEVE how some people roll up in there.  Like they just came from planting some magnolias and decided, "Hey - let me see what's up with the Lord this morning!" ???  Flip-flops, shorts, jeans - a mess!

LOL this is true....and depending on where you work you can see some crazy ish as well...some folks take business casual just a tad too far haha

« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2005, 11:16:11 AM »
basically... no need to spend all of your money to keep up with the jones' .. the thing that some people don't realize is that black folk tend to look down on other people that aren't dressed as they dress.. if they were to wear some flip flops or tshirts then 9 out of 10 they wouldn't hang around the people in the more expensive clothing...

Interesting, I really didn't know it was like that at HBCU's. I went to a PWI, and it was straight chilling most days, except for suits for presentations and such.  I'm glad though, cause the money I would have probably used keeping up an on point wardrobe, I used to trade stocks.. 

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »
It's the same way at some PW churches.  I work at a PW church and ya'll would not BELIEVE how some people roll up in there.  Like they just came from planting some magnolias and decided, "Hey - let me see what's up with the Lord this morning!" ???  Flip-flops, shorts, jeans - a mess!

the good Lord said "come as you are..."

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2005, 11:28:19 AM »
I know - but at least comb your hair!!! :o

faith2005

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2005, 11:31:16 AM »
lol! you know sometimes i think that people might perceive me that way. one guy told me that the way that I dress is the reason why I get mistaken for being young. i don't think anyone has ever not hung out with me b/c of it though. and i don't think i look like a bum or anything. i just prefer to wear jeans and stuff.

bp--if you saw casual fridays at my job, you might be shocked. i don't think its crazy, but it has to be almost the opposite of the finance sector. my friend who worked in the tech business said her co-workers were seriously under-dressed all the time. hahaha

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2005, 11:56:10 AM »
that's what headwraps are for ;D :D

I know - but at least comb your hair!!! :o

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2005, 02:21:58 PM »
or Jessica Simpson/Star Jones hair-supplement patches....

elegantpearl01

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2005, 04:47:32 PM »
Nah, Roxie everyone can't rock the extensions and lace front wigs, if you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all. A good lace front wig will run you at least 400-500 dollars.  Beyonce has a 50K lace front wig (everyone aint able).

Omegaman

• Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »
Nah, Roxie everyone can't rock the extensions and lace front wigs, if you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all. A good lace front wig will run you at least 400-500 dollars.  Beyonce has a 50K lace front wig (everyone aint able).

So that's why you took the biglaw firm job!!

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2005, 05:11:13 PM »
50K?? But sometimes B's wig doesn't look good in the front.  :-\